Learn to make your dishes healthier this year by substituting simple ingredients. This way you can indulge while still flaunting what your mama gave you (or working on that New Years resolution).

Applesauce for Butter or Oil: 

swap

Photo by Rachel Ferreira

When your recipe calls for butter or vegetable oil, try swapping in applesauce. It’s the same consistency and way lower in calories and fat. Your healthier muffins will help you avoid that sneaky muffin top later.

Quinoa for Rice:

swap

Photo by Rachel Ferreira

You’ll barely notice the difference between these two since they are cooked practically the same way. Quinoa provides more fiber and protein, which will keep you full longer. Plus, it is rich in vitamins and minerals, while also lower in calories. You’re welcome.

Greek Yogurt for Mayo:

swap

Photo by Rachel Ferreira

Substituting Greek yogurt for mayo will cut your calories and fat practically in half, while also giving you an extra dose of protein. Let’s consider Greek yogurt the forgotten Greek god.

Mashed Cauliflower for Mashed Potatoes: 

swap

Photo by Rachel Ferreira

Seriously, mashed cauliflower is the king of substitutions. It provides more fiber and nutrients for less calories and carbs, and you can customize it any way you want. Though if you add a pound of butter, it may overshadow the nutritional benefits.  Just sayin’.