Who doesn't love strawberries?  They taste fantastic in desserts like molten chocolate cake and strawberry shortcake fresh from the oven with whipped cream.  They're wonderfully sweet and juicy and have both a soft and crunchy texture.  I can't even help but eat them whole, all the way down to the cute little green stem!  When a strawberry is ripe, it's more juicy, soft, and sweet, while a less ripe strawberry is more crunchy yet delightfully tart.  Some people prefer them to be very or less ripe, but they taste fabulous to me either way!

Strawberries are great in so many dishes, but they especially taste great in mixed beverages, and one of my favorites is a strawberry daiquiri.  The slushie-like consistency and the flavorful blended fruits make this mixed drink delicious.  It's an excellent addition to a ladies' night out for dinner and dancing, and there's nothing like a refreshing strawberry daiquiri to quench my thirst on a warm spring or humid summer day!

strawberry, berry, sweet, pasture
Becky Hughes

I love this drink so much that I even created a smoothie recipe inspired by it that highlights this berry's amazing flavor and health benefits.  Strawberries are a good source of Vitamin C.  In fact, one strawberry alone provides approximately 11% of the daily value of Vitamin C.  This vitamin is a powerful antioxidant that plays a role in protecting our immune system.  This means that we're less likely to get sick if it's abundant within our bodies.  Other ingredients in my smoothie recipe, such as limes and oranges in the citrus family, are also rich in Vitamin C.

Strawberries and other fruits aren't the only healthy ingredients in this smoothie, though; it starts with a liquid base of coconut water.  Coconut water, in addition to fruits, vegetables, and other whole foods, provides a higher potassium content than processed foods.  This is because potassium is lost in processed foods with the addition of sodium, or salt, as a preservative.  Potassium is also an electrolyte, which helps the body restore and recover after losing electrolyte-rich bodily fluids, such as sweat, on a hot day.  The absence of alcohol increases this smoothie's health benefits even more and ensures that no fluid, electrolyte, vitamin, or nutrient is lost when drinking it!

This strawberry daiquiri smoothie recipe is nutritious, simple, and delicious!

(This drink does not have alcohol as an ingredient.  This article does not encourage irresponsible drinking, especially if under 21.)

Prep Time: 3 minutes

Cook Time: 2 Minutes

Total Time: 5 Minutes

Serving Size: 12 fl. oz.

2 c strawberries

1 c coconut water

1 c ice

1 Tbsp lime juice

1 orange

Recipe Steps

1. Pour the coconut water into the blender cup.

2. Chop the strawberry stems off of the strawberries, and place in the blender cup.

3. Add ice to the blender cup, and pour in lime juice.

5. Cut the orange in half horizontally.  Save 1 or 2 circular slices for cup garnishing, and squeeze one of the remaining orange halves into the blender cup.

6. Blend all ingredients with a gradual build of intensity until the mixture reaches a smooth consistency.

7. Pour into a drinking cup, and garnish with orange slices.

8. Enjoy!!!