Whether or not you’re the most talented cook in the kitchen, we’ve all had our fair share of bad mishaps when cooking. Unfortunately for most (but fortunately for us) some of the stories are more than hilarious or just plain horrible. We’ve asked around and gathered some of the most noteworthy stories from your kitchen… from hell.
Slicin Dicin Away
“I had to take a cooking class my first semester freshman year of college and we had to buy our own aprons and knives for the first day. I’ve always been scared of knives so I left it in the packages up until right before the class started. I was rushing to get ready and so I tried ripping open the knife package and ended up slicing my middle finger. The TA had to take me to the emergency care center and the cut was so deep they had to put body glue on it. Let’s just say I’m very cautious around knives now (I always go for serrated).” – Nicole
“I set fire to the [kitchen]”- Adele
“So we bought a Costco sized pack of individually wrapped cream cheese packets so we froze some of them. I put one in the microwave to defrost not knowing it was aluminum…and it caught on fire.” – Nancy
Boom Boom POW
“Making jello should be very easy, but for me, I now refuse to make it. I also am now sometimes nervous around the microwave. The very first time I decided I wanted to make jello I wasn’t told that you shouldn’t boil water in a glass bowl, so I just filled the bowl with water, added the jello packet and put it in the microwave. After a few minutes I decided to open the microwave to see the jello bubbling and all of a sudden all of it burst. The glass bowl went flying and jello went absolutely everywhere. As much as it sucked having sticky jello everywhere and glass shards around the kitchen the worst part was that hot jello had landed on me. That’s one thing I never want to experience again.” – Anna
“When I was working at a bakery someone accidentally dropped a huge thing of batter. The unfortunate part was that it was red velvet batter and it was a huge amount. The tub fell and this huge layer of thick, red goo was everywhere. It seriously looked like a crime scene from Carrie. Like it was absolutely everywhere. It took us an hour to mop it up and we’re still finding it on the walls like a year later.” – Lauryn
Hide and Go Seek
“So, I was baking a chocolate cake for a dinner party that my family was having. My first step, before even starting the batter, was pre-heating the oven. I set it to 350 degrees and started on my cake. After about 20 minutes, I noticed there was a weird smell. When I opened the oven, I realized that I melted a blender that my mom put in there to make more counter space for food prep. My mom was so pissed, but the cake was the most decadent and moist chocolate cake I have ever made.” – Olivia
“Freshman year, I had 3 of the worst roommates you could imagine. One day while I was out of town, my roommate decided she wanted to cook fries so she put grease in a pan. While the grease was heating up she had the brilliant idea of taking a shower. She got out of the shower and surprise: There was a grease fire in our kitchen. She poured water on it (rookie mistake) and instead of looking for a fire extinguisher or calling 911, she ran to the RA’s room only to find she wasn’t home. We all had to switch rooms for the rest of the semester because there was too much damage to the room.” – Delaney
Every Teardrop is a Waterfall
“I’m always really careful when chopping onions because my eyes are so sensitive. But one night I needed to rush to finish making a dish for this dinner party I was having at my house. I was quickly chopping the onions and accidentally touched my eyes at one point to wipe a tear away…Not realizing that I had a small piece of onion still on my finger. The little strand of onion got stuck in the side of my eye and actually started burning it. I ran to the bathroom to see my tomato-red eyeball in the mirror. After several attempts and grabbing the onion strand, I was finally able to get it out of my eye. My eyes were watering for 3 straight days and I can’t tell you how many times people asked me if I was crying.” – Alex
5 Second Rule
“I’ve always been trying to prove to my family that I am a fabulous cook. So somehow last year, I managed to convince them that they should allow me to cook Christmas dinner for my family and extended family. The group was about 15 people and I had decided to make a nice pork roast. When the meat came out of the oven, I could tell right away I had hit success. The smell was to die for, it looked delicious and even better- looked like we were going to have leftovers. As I was walking with the dish over to the counter, I tripped over my dog who was laying on the floor. My beautiful roast went flying onto the ground. My mind was racing a million miles a second. So, thinking fast I picked it up, threw it back on the plate and quickly made it look like nothing had happened to it. Then I continued to serve it to my family. To my astonishment (and delight) they loved it and allowed me to cook the following holiday.” – Abby
“It was the beginning of 7th grade and I was with my friends playing super monkey ball on the GameCube. My sister made me one of those microwaveable cup of noodles and she gave it to me while I was sitting on the couch. I placed it on the arm of the couch while I was getting into a more comfortable position to eat it and it spilled on my lap.
I immediately leaned backwards and my instinct was to wipe everything off with my hands. I don’t remember some of the details of what happened next I just remembered being utterly terrified. As I was screaming, my mom carried me straight to the kitchen sink and covered me with really cold water while my friends ran upstairs and filled a bathtub with ice water. They carried me upstairs and placed me in there until my dad (who’s a doctor) came to help and see what to do next.
I ended up getting second to third degree burns on my lower stomach, both thighs, and hands. The open wounds took about a year to heal. To this day I have a nasty scar on my right thigh and some discoloration on my left. It was a traumatizing experience that’s for sure. I didn’t go near ramen noodle soup for several years.” – Judy