Calories are everywhere. From menus to Instagram, counting calories is becoming a growing trend in today's society. This time last year, I started to count my calories. However, I didn’t realize how blurred my relationship with food was truly becoming until my best friend noticed.

My mom noticed.

Everyone shopping in the aisles of the grocery store noticed.

Basically, everyone noticed but me.

Marina Pezzella

As a freshman new to college, I decided to take control of my health and well-being by eating clean, starting an exercise routine and keeping track of what I ate by counting calories. The first couple of months were perfect. My mood shifted. I was happier, energetic and almost stress-free (crazy, right?). Although my routine was balanced, I decided to dig a little deeper and wanted to know more about health and fitness.

Marina Pezzella

I began to research the health benefits of food. This led to the food "rules". By rules, I mean I pressured myself to have no dairy, no gluten, no salt, no butter, and the list goes on. Then, I began watching fitness YouTubers and Instagram fitness gurus. This led to daily exercise. And by daily, I mean before and after every meal. Word after word, video after video, I not only began to change my eating and exercise habits but more importantly, myself. I thought if it worked for them, it should work for me...right?

What I didn't realize...

Every body is different. The amount of food and calories I eat is going to be different than what my friends and family eat...and that's perfectly okay! Some days we're not super hungry and feeling sluggish, but some days we're starving and scramble to the fridge at 12 a.m. That's the amazing journey of living in a body capable of so many incredible things, so be sure to embrace it.

Marina Pezzella

In today's world, it's so easy to get caught up in society's idea of the "perfect" body that we often forget about the positive effects food can have on our hearts, bodies and minds. Ever since I was a little girl, many of my favorite memories have been in the kitchen and around food. From making Christmas cookies with my mom to celebrating Thanksgiving each year with friends and family, I forgot to cherish all of the memories I've made. Calories are temporary, but memories last forever.

Marina Pezzella

Our bodies are capable of doing so many incredible things. But, the things I enjoy doing will be different from another person. This is just like our relationships with food. Everyone has different tastes, eats at different times around the world and eats different amounts. Not one body is the same. In fact, "skinny" or "fat" shouldn't exist because the two terms don't apply to anyone and shouldn't change who you are. Healthy and happy are displayed in various shapes and figures.

Marina Pezzella

If I could tell my freshman self what I know now, I would tell her to love herself for who she is on the inside; not for what social media, a scale or a calorie-plastered menu tells her to be. Most of her best times in college will be enjoying food with her friends and family. Food is meant to bring health and happiness, not stress and sorrow. You won't cherish the moments spent counting your calories or watching your weight. However, you'll always cherish the memories made talking over coffee or eating at your favorite restaurant with your best friends.

Marina Pezzella

The take away...

If you can take away any piece from this article, remember to enjoy every moment. You're only in college for a short time and only get one life, so live it to the fullest. Stop counting calories. Instead, start saying "yes" to ice cream, coffee runs and late-night pizza. Start counting memories.