When I first arrived at the University of Oregon, one of the first questions people would ask me after I said I was from California was, “Are you prepared for the rain?” At first I didn’t quite know what to think of it, but as the leaves changed color, the seasons quickly changed and the sky became darker and darker, I realized I was dreading the rain. Yet, once again food came to the rescue. I found the most delicious recipes to take my mind off the bleak weather. The rain comes frequently during the fall and winter months, so here are some rainy day recipes that are bound to help you combat the rain.

1. Crispy Brussels Sprouts

oregon rain

Photo by Liz Kaplan

Add some bacon and you’re golden. Enjoying crispy Brussels sprouts will make you feel all warm and cozy inside when it’s cold and miserable outside. Trust me.

2. French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese

oregon rain

Photo by Amanda Shulman

The combination of two of the best things on earth, grilled cheese and french onion soup in a dang sandwich sounds freaking delicious. Who wouldn’t want to eat this on a cold rainy day? Or every day?

3. Cheap and Easy Chili

oregon rain

Photo by Sophia Boerman

Gotta stick with the classics, and this one includes lots of cheese and chili. By far one of the original comfort food dishes that will definitely bring a smile to your face. Even if it’s pouring buckets.

4. Miso Soup

oregon rain

Photo by Judy Holtz

There’s nothing better than soup on rainy days, and this miso soup will help make the adjustment to rainy weather a breeze.

5. Gooey Cookie Bars

oregon rain

Photo by Courtney Heier

And we can’t forget about dessert. Here’s a recipe you can use for the times when it’s too cold for ice cream to do the trick.

Now’s the time to stock up and get your best recipes ready before the rain hits. Get cooking!