The beginning of the holiday season is usually signaled by a few major events. First, holiday decorations begin to show up on retail shelves the day after Halloween. Then, the premature carols begin to play on the radio. The third major giveaway? Our winter drinks showing up in a bright red Starbucks holiday cup. 

Last year, social media declared that Starbucks was starting a "war on Christmas" due to the minimalist design of their holiday cups. They weren't Christmas-y enough, a major difference from the previous years' cups which featured snowflakes, ornaments, and many other symbols of merriment and cheer. 

coffee, milk, cappuccino, cream, espresso, mocha, sweet, chocolate
Justin Schwebel

This year, their supposed new holiday cups are now green, and they feature over one hundred connected people of all ages. The company's CEO, Howard Schultz, said in a statement that the cup is meant to symbolize our community, shared values, and cooperation. Despite all of these awesome messages, the green cups are still causing outrage. Little is known as to whether these are the "real" holiday cups - images have surfaced of other holiday themed cups supposedly set to be distributed later this season, and Starbucks has even posted a teaser to new cups on their Instagram - but to be frank, who cares? There are a lot more important issues to worry about in the world besides whether or not Starbucks is distributing cups that are aesthetically pleasing for our #christmasgram, and here are just a few:

1. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series after a 108-year "curse."

Nobody is paying attention to your coffee while they're cheering for the underdog. 

2. The United States will elect a new president.

"Don't pay whoever made these crappy cups." — Trump, probably.

3. This year's supermoon will be the biggest since 1948.

I don't think it will be that great of lighting for your PSL Insta, though.

4. The Dakota Access Pipeline is highlighting major issues (between the local police force, Native Americans civilians and pipeline owners) for the entire country.

The preservation of the Missouri River might take precedence over the size of our lattes. 

5. Iraqi Special Forces launched an attack on ISIS in the city of Mosul. 

Coffee was the last thing on the minds of the two CNN reporters who followed forces through dangerous territory.

6. UK judges rule that Parliament must be included in Brexit vote.

People are infuriated at the potential for their vote to be overturned, not that their cups lack polar bears. 

7. Hillary Clinton was officially cleared by the FBI for her email scandal.

A controversy that plays a much bigger role in our society than that of the holiday cup. 

8. Puerto Rico is petitioning to become the 51st state of America.

FYI, it's not because they want Starbucks. They already have Starbucks.

9. CoverGirl continues to push the boundaries of conventional beauty standards with their two newest spokespeople.

But instead of creating a controversy like the cup has, many have chosen to embrace the diversity within the famous beauty brand.

10. 28 cities in the United States still lack OB-GYN care. 

There are 29 OB/GYNs per 100,000 women in the United States. There are 45 coffee shops per 100,000 people in Seattle alone. 

11. An antibiotic-resistant fungus has emerged in the United States (and beyond).

Friends don't let friends drink out of the same anti-Christmas coffee cup and subsequently get an infectious disease. 

12. A federal jury decided a Rolling Stone reporter is guilty for the defamation with malice of former UVA Associate Dean.

#TBT to the 2014 controversy, one that came long before the cup.

See how interesting the world is outside of your daily coffee? At the very least, the next time you're in Starbucks, scroll through the morning news while you wait for your drink.

It's important to stay educated about the world around you and to think about problems that affect people (including yourself) every day. They take a little bit of precedence over the way your coffee is presented to you.