Obviously not all meat is created equal, but you don't need to break the bank to get a good cut. Here is a definitive analysis of all cuts of steak (broken down by price range) to help you find the perfect cut. 

Cheap Cuts ($)

Skirt Steak ($6.99/lb)

This potentially tough but flavorful cut of meat is popular in fajitas, where it is often served with onions, peppers and rice. Skirt steak also goes well with a vibrant, herbaceous chimichurri sauce. Grill and slice against the grain to get a tender steak, or let it cook slow and low.

Brisket ($1.99/lb)

Slow-cooked brisket paired with hearty vegetables like roasted potatoes and carrots comprise the ultimate comfort meal. Brisket can also be made into corned beef or pastrami, which goes nicely with cole slaw or Russian dressing.

Chuck Eye Steak ($4.99/lb)

Chuck eye steak, known as “the poor man’s ribeye,” is a great substitute for the real deal when you can find it. All it needs is some sautéed onions and mushrooms to complete the meal.

Semi-Affordable Cuts ($$)

NY Strip Steak ($7.99/lb)

This classic cut is usually preferred for its relative tenderness and good marbling. Its flavor is not as intense as that of a ribeye but on the other hand, the strip is much easier to cook and eat.

Hanger Steak ($7.99/lb)

Hanger steak is a nicer version of skirt steak; it’s the cut that butchers will often keep for themselves. This prized cut of meat is best kept simple and classic; serve it grilled with a side of fries or mushrooms and red wine sauce.

Sirloin Steak ($7.99/lb)

Sirloin steak, not to be confused with top sirloin, lends itself to a variety of preparations. This cut should be simply marinated and grilled. Serve with a side salad or use like you would skirt steak.

Splurge Cuts ($$$)

Ribeye ($9.99/lb)

Ribeye is the king of steaks: rich, juicy with robust flavors and great marbling. It offers everything you want in a model steak. Serve it with something bright and light, like tomatoes or crispy green beans to balance the steak’s fatty richness. If you want to really indulge when dining out, order a dry-aged ribeye.

T-Bone ($8.99/lb)

T-bone steak is one part strip and one part filet, each section separated by a T-shaped bone. While the strip has a strong beef flavor and moderate chew, the filet is tender and has a more subtle beefiness. The two-part structure makes this steak a little trickier to cook correctly.

Filet/Tenderloin ($13.99/lb)

Filet (mignon) is certainly worth the money if done right. Filet is the most tender cut of steak with an almost buttery texture. But it is also very low in fat, and proportionately low in flavor. Unless you cherish tenderness above everything else, go with a less-pricey, more flavorful cut. Otherwise, take care not to overcook the filet or overpower it with other flavors.