After listening to some friends gush about the delectable foods they had in Italy, I started thinking “I have to go there and try that tiramisu one day” or “before I die, I will dine at Le Pergola.” All that talk about unattainable yet delicious food got me wondering. What would you eat for your Last Meal? I took it upon myself to ask my fellow Spoonie Interns what they would want. Some mentioned a family member’s recipe while others went all out.

last meal

Photo by Becky Hughes

Becky Hughes, a photography intern at Spoon’s NYC HQ, said she would have an upscale breakfast buffet which would include “chocolate chip pancakes, fresh berries and avocado toast.” Another intern Krysten Dorfman covered all her bases and chose “shrimp and grits, appropriate for breakfast, lunch and dinner.” Katherine Carroll, preferring a scrumptious dessert, went with “dark chocolate covered strawberries.”

Going all out with an international cuisine, Julia Liss expressed her love of hibachi-style cooking, a Japanese meal during which the chef cooks right in front of you whilst performing tricks. She would ask for filet mignon which usually comes with fried rice, noodles, vegetables, soup and salad from her favorite hibachi restaurant, Kiku.

last meal

Photo by Nancy Chen

Intern Nancy Chen tells us, “I’ve lived in California my whole life, so authentic Mexican food is kinda my comfort food, especially since I go to school in Boston and have found east coast Mexican food to be lacking in comparison.” Nancy says her last meal would be homemade guacamole, breakfast burrito and taco al pastor. “Avocados are my all-time favorite (hence the guacamole), and Establos Meat Market, where I get the guacamole and burritos, is a local favorite that I’ve been going to for years.”

last meal

Photo by Nancy Chen

Elizabeth Layman went with a homier meal choosing her grandmother’s beef lasagna. She reminisces, “My grandma is from Italy, so she’s very particular about using the best and freshest things in her dinners. For the lasagna, she’ll go to a handful of different Italian grocery stores in the area to find the perfect sauce base and different cheeses. Then, she’ll add a few spices and herbs from her garden into the sauce, and she’ll add the meat and cook it all for hours before she layers it with the noodles and fresh cheeses. It’s wonderful.”

What would you eat for your Last Meal? Let us know in the comments.

Interviews have been edited for ease of reading.