The spring semester has just started for college students. This means that thousands are now transitioning from life at home, vacationing and doing almost nothing, to life back at school. It is difficult for many to get back into the routine of waking up early for classes and staying full and focused for the entire day. I have too noticed this struggle.

coffee, tea, beer, sipping, Drinking, cozy, bed, warm, Morning, mug
Caroline Ingalls

It seems almost impossible, at first, to be able to make it through all of your classes with the same amount of energy that you had at the beginning of the day. This causes many to turn to caffeine and naps to make it from class to class without crashing. However, I have found that changing your eating habits will have the same effect and will help to train you to become healthier.

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that eating a small snack filled with healthy fats, carbs, and protein before class when I'm starting to feel that midday slump helps me to stay awake and focused. I began to compile a list of the snacks that seems to accomplish this goal the best!

1. Carrots and Hummus

Carrots and hummus is my number one go to snack. Not only is it delicious, but hummus is an amazing source of protein. This snack not only keeps me full and focused for my next class, but also for hours after. 

2. Greek Yogurt and Granola

I often myself turning to greek yogurt topped with granola before a morning class. I find this to be a great breakfast option packed with protein and healthy carbs. This snack is also very customizable. You can easily change the flavor of yogurt or granola based off of your mood.

3. Protein Bar

It has taken me a while to find a protein bar that fills me up and is not filled with too much junk. Although it easy to find protein bars with a high protein content, these bars often contain many chemicals. It is for this reason that I stayed away from protein bars, until I discovered RxBars. RxBars contain many natural ingredients and have the ability to keep me full throughout my class.

4. A Few Slices of Lean Turkey

Although I often try to stay away from deli meats, a few slices of turkey when you are starving before is a great snack and will definitely not kill you. This snack is also great if you find yourself craving a sandwich or you have a class around lunch time.

5. Apples and Peanut Butter

Apples and peanut butter is a classic, healthy, and filling snack that many turn to. Although I love fresh fruit, I find that it does not fill me up as well some of the other snack on this list. In order to fix this I started dipping my apples in peanut butter. Problem solved! If you do not like peanut butter, feel free to try a different nut butter for the same effect.

6. Smoothie

A smoothie is the perfect snack if you are in a rush or on the go. You can easily pick up a smoothie on the way to your next class and drink it as you walk. Many smoothie places also allow you to customize your smoothie and add or subtract different fruits or even to add protein powder.

7. Trail Mix

I personally love trail mix. Not only is trail mix filling, but it allows you to have a variety of nuts, dried fruits, and sometimes even candy. Trail mix ensures that every bite will be different and that you will never be bored.

This list has helped me to start the new semester right by minimizing the naps I have had to take and the unhealthy foods I have eaten. Even if you are not into healthy snacks, try one of the options above! You never know what will inspire you to start your healthy eating kick.