Sometimes, in the middle of my day, I realize it has been five hours since I’ve last eaten.

Between classes, working out, club meetings and homework, it’s hard to find time to do what most humans do best: eat. However, this is where our friend the “granola bar” can help us out. I have tried my fair share of granola bars and am confident that I am well-qualified to share my findings on these bars that are da real MVPs of the day.

1.) Quest

bars

Photo by Jennifer Cao

Taste: Most Quest bars live up to their scrumptious names–or, as much as a low-carb, low-sugar protein bar possibly could. While the Apple Pie bar isn’t oozing warm apple, the taste is definitely reminiscent of a piece of pie.
Texture: These are undoubtedly the chewiest bars ever. You need to have strong teeth to rip into these babies, which are thick logs of chewiness.
Nutrition: If you’re looking for protein, these bad boys are for you. All bars pack up to 20 grams of protein. They are also super low on carbs–just three to five grams per bar. They are extremely low on sugar, too, having only one gram each. But beware: the names of some ingredients look like they are from a different language.

2.) FiberOne

bars

Photo by Jennifer Cao

Taste: FiberOne bars, no matter the specific flavor, are very sweet. It seems as though FiberOne strives to satisfy peoples’ sweet tooths in a “guilt-free” way (they use “chocolate flavored” drizzles–I haven’t figured out if that’s a good or a bad thing). Flavors include the popular Oats & Chocolate, Oats & Caramel and Oats & Strawberry.
Texture: FiberOne bars are a combination of chewy and gooey with a little bit of crunch. You better be an oats fan if you want to try one. These bars consist mainly of oats that are topped with different flavored drizzles and enhanced with fruit or nuts.
Nutrition: These bars claim to provide 35 percent of your required fiber intake. They are also low on protein, but moderately high on sugar, with most bars packing 10 grams.

3.) Kind

bars

Photo by Jennifer Cao

Taste: I’m pretty confident Kind has created a bar for every palate. Some bars, like the Honey Mustard option, are savory, while others, like the Dark Chocolate Pecan, are sweet. Despite the rice puffs that may get in the way, both sweet and savory flavors are true to taste.
Texture: The heavy concentration of nuts makes these bars more brittle than Quest’s or FiberOne’s offering. However, some are chewier than others like the Coconut Almond flavor, which may take strong teeth to tear at.
Nutrition: Kind prides itself on only including “ingredients you can pronounce,” so no mysterious chemicals in these babies. They tend to be higher in calories, with many bars weighing in at 200 calories apiece. On the other hand, they are pretty low in sugar, with about 5 grams in nuttier bars and 9 grams in fruitier ones. However, if you’re counting carbs, some bars contain around 20 grams, so be wise with your flavor choice.

4.) Nature Valley

bars

Photo by Jennifer Cao

Taste: Nature Valley’s bars span the flavor spectrum, going from the basic Oats ‘n Honey to Maple Brown Sugar. On these bars, the flavor is a little more subdued, as it is gently laced in between a compact mass of oats.
Texture: These Nature Valley bars are generally known for their crunchiness. The crunchiest, and most popular, offerings are made almost completely of oats and topped with a sprinkling of sugar. They are pretty thin, a nice size and come in packages of two. Two per package = more to enjoy.
Nutrition: One package, or two bars, of the Oats ‘n Honey flavor is pretty high in carbs, weighing in at around 29 grams. However, Nature Valley advertises that within these carbs lie 16 grams of whole grains, a significant portion of the recommended daily value (33 grams). Like Kind bars, these bars consist of ingredients you can read and pronounce. However, these tend to be high in sugar, with the most basic Oat ‘n Honey flavor containing 12 grams of sugar per package.

After my years spent as an avid snack bar eater, I am confident there is one out there for everyone. You like savory? No problem. You’re into crunch? They got you covered. You watching your carb count? There’s a bar for you, too.

I think we all have it wrong in college: while, sure, the dude who just gave you a kick-ass study guide is an MVP, the real MVPs are these dang delicious snack bars.

So, you into snack bars?