Thirty years ago, an Italian named Carlo Petrini sat outside the Spanish Steps in Rome to protest the planned arrival of a new McDonald’s franchise. Fast-forward to today, where that man’s vision to prevent the destruction of regional traditions and gastronomic pleasure has evolved into a global organization, Slow Food, which has now taken root at Emory. Slow Food aims to prevent the disappearance of local food cultures, to counteract the degradation of slow life and to reignite an interest in the food we eat and where it comes from. Here at Emory, the university chapter of Slow Food is hoping to change the way we look at food.

How many of you never think twice about which bin you’re tossing that compostable plate from Cox in? How many times have you walked over the Cox bridge on a Tuesday without even recognizing the weekly farmer’s market? When’s the last time you actually cooked something?

With bi-weekly events, Slow Food Emory is giving students the opportunity to slow down and take an interest in their food. Students have the chance to take weekend trips to Atlanta farmer’s markets. Utilizing local, seasonal food, students can cook weekly meals, like the pan-seared eggplant rounds topped with a sauté of Japanese eggplant, peppers and quinoa cooked last week.

Unknown

Apart from bi-weekly meals and regular trips to the farmer’s market, in an effort to increase student’s awareness, Slow Food Emory will be putting on a variety of events including film screenings, demos and food fairs. The group plans to utilize some of Atlanta’s most well-known “Slow Chefs,” such as Steven Satterfield of Miller Union or Anne Quatrano of Bachannalia fame, for various canning, cooking and specialty demos.

With the school’s constant revamp of the on-campus dining scene, Emory students are taking an increased interest in the food they eat and the options available to them. Slow Food hopes take advantage of this, similarly opening student’s eyes to Atlanta’s rich culinary history and giving them the opportunity to become more connected to their food.