The latest buzz among health aficionados and persistent dieters is the “Bulletproof Diet,” a meal plan that flips the commonly held opinion that too much fat intake leads to weight gain on its head. The Bulletproof Diet encourages people who are trying to lose weight to make sure that 50-60% of their daily calories come from fat.

This amount of fat is more than has ever been recommended by a diet plan, but advocates of the Bulletproof Diet insist that the diet is effective and that the quantity of fat consumed does not matter as much as the quality of fat consumed.

A daily meal plan for someone on the Bulletproof Diet includes something like a breakfast of eggs cooked in oils and served with meat or avocados, a lunch of vegetables cooked in oils or butter, and a dinner of vegetables and protein—carbohydrates are highly discouraged on the diet—all cooked in high amounts of fat.

One of the most important components of the diet is “Bulletproof Coffee,” which consists of coffee blended with 1-2 tablespoons of butter and 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Dave Asprey, creator of the diet, insists that this coffee concoction is key to increasing mental performance and decreasing appetite.

bulletproof diet

Photo by Hannah Petersen

Not all diet and medical experts are convinced by the Bulletproof Diet. In an interview for Raw Story, Vox health writer Julia Belluz said of the diet, “The Bulletproof Diet brings together in one place everything that should make you skeptical of fad diets. It’s a teachable moment and its various offenses serve as a collection of giant, red warning flags.”

Joan Blake, a clinical associate professor of nutrition at Boston University, has expressed skepticism about both the coffee and diet as a whole.

In an interview with the New York Times, she said, “This is not the breakfast of champions. The No. 1 driver of food choices among consumers is taste. If individuals continue to enjoy the taste of their coffee prepared this way, they will continue to consume it. Whether it has long-term effects on weight management remains to be seen.”

Jimmy Fallon says Bulletproof Coffee “is the most delicious thing ever and is actually good for you!” Because the concept of the Bulletproof Diet is so new, science has yet to prove whether or not its recommended increase in fat intake is in fact healthy and does lead to weight loss.

bulletproof diet

Photo by Kristin Brennan

A starter kit for those interested in the Bulletproof Diet is available for purchase.

Until more answers about its effectiveness are unearthed, blend up a cup of coffee with butter and check out these other articles on some other coffee trends: