San Francisco is a farmers market galore, with more than 20 farmers’ markets scattered around the city. Why not make a grand tour of the SF farmers markets then? The inspiration behind the farmers markets featured are from the hit song “Save Me, San Francisco” by Train which coincidentally features the three areas the markets are located in. Whether or not you cook, these markets will be a fun time for anyone new to the scene. 

Ferry Plaza Farmers Market

Now Alcatraz don't sound so bad

Overlooking the Bay Bridge and the famous Alcatraz Island, the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market is a widely acclaimed market renowned for its quality, as well as its diversity of fresh produce and street food. Make a trip down on Saturdays to explore more than 300 Bay Area farms and restaurants!

The market includes a wide variety of regional meats, fruits, and vegetables to stock up your kitchen. Even if you aren’t a fan of cooking, Ferry Plaza is worth the visit. Coffee lovers can check out Proyecto Diaz Coffee, a roasting company which aims to rebuild coffee farms by using coffee beans straight from the farm instead of through suppliers. The street food scene is another highlight, showcasing foods like freshly made hummus, artisan pizzas, and full rotisserie chickens. You can even enjoy your favorite foods while looking over the waters – talk about dinner with a view!

Clement Street Farmers Market

I wish they were Golden Gated

Located north of Golden Gate Park and south of the Golden Gate Bridge outlook point, the Clement Street Farmers Market is the go-to place to accompany a Sunday hike. For those looking to get some fresh vegetables, the streets are lined with fresh Asian produce and a wide range of organic vegetables, all at a reasonable price! My favorites include peppers, zucchinis, kale, and bok choy.

Heather Shin

If you want to refuel after a day out or are just craving something sweet, the baked goods selection will not disappoint. Goodies like fresh-squeezed apple juice, fresh tarts, and buttery croissants, will ensure you won’t walk away with an empty stomach. And while you’re there, don’t forget to check out the famous book store: Green Apple Books for a great range of both brand new and second hand books. 

Heather Shin

Fort Mason Center Farmers Market

Take me to my city by the bay

At the historic, former US Army West Coast headquarters lies the Fort Mason Center Farmers Market. This is a true gem for cooks, as the stalls boast organic produce from the North Bay and San Joaquin Valley’s finest harvest. Many farmers are happy to share their favorite family harvests, and even give you some heirloom seeds to grow yourself!

Heather Shin

Picnic lovers rejoice! Just a stone’s throw away from the Marina Green, the market often features decorative basket sets for picnics. Feel free to pick from the several picnic basket options and head over to the waterfront stop, known for its sweeping views of the San Francisco Bay.

Heather Shin

Farmers markets are a great way to spend a chill weekend. By shopping at these markets, you’re also contributing directly to local farms and keeping them sustainable. There are so many farmers markets to check out not just in San Francisco but also in Berkeley and Marin. Once you start exploring farmers markets, you will realize how much they have to offer and you won’t turn back!