If you're a fan of rosé, unicorn bagels, and elaborate milkshakes, than you're going to love the new chocolate that the Swiss chocolatiers at Barry Callebaut just released. Pink chocolate is about to be added to the list of dark, milk, and white chocolate, so get ready, because there's about to be yet another social media takeover coming our way. 

Ruby chocolate is the newest type of chocolate to be released after white chocolate came out 80 years ago. Just the color is enough to get me excited. I don't know about all of you, but I'm not complaining. Pink chocolate can stay as far as I'm concerned.

Just Another Trend?

dessert, candy, cookie, pastry, chocolate, sprinkles, cream, cake, sweet
Max Bartick

When first learning about the new product, I was quick to assume that this was just another ploy to color any food and make it marketable to us millennials. I can't get over how many food products have been altered to be marketed towards our generation. Really, unicorn noodles? I'll pass.

While the pink-colored chocolate may appear to be a result of a similar strategy, the ruby chocolate production has been in the works for over 10 years, and the coloring and flavors are surprisingly all-natural.

Unlike many of the colorful food trends that have been surfacing on social media, I think ruby chocolate will be here to stay once it hits the markets. The taste is something unique that the world has yet to see, and it is something that will be used by different chocolate producers to create their own recipes using the ruby chocolate base.

In an event following the release of the chocolate, chefs have already created some masterpieces out of the beautiful new product.   

All About That Taste

The cocoa beans used to make the ruby chocolate naturally produce a smooth texture and berry taste. There are no artificial colors or berry flavoring added, which is something that allows the chocolate to be in a category of its own. 

I'm not sure how I feel about a berry-tasting chocolate, but I'm willing to try anything once. One thing is for sure though, no matter the taste, pink chocolate is going to smack us all in the face on Instagram in upcoming months.

Where, When, and Will It Cost A Fortune?

Hopefully, the pink chocolate will hit stores in time for Valentine's Day. However, since Barry Callebaut does not sell directly to consumers, we will have to wait until the chocolate is sold to other chocolate makers before it can then hit the shelves of our favorite stores, such as Whole Foods and Trader Joes.

Regardless of wherever the chocolate will be sold, get your cameras ready, because ruby chocolate is about to rock our world. Let's just hope we won't have to give up an arm and a leg to get our hands on some.