Hunger in the college community on a national level is growing constantly. I know how it feels. Whether it’s sitting through a super long lecture, forgetting to pack my lunch, or after bills and rent just not having enough for groceries. We’ve all been there to some extent. This is why I am so excited to introduce R’Pantry to you all. Open Wednesdays 8:30am-12pm and Thursdays 10am-12pm in the Bear’s Den, this food assistance program is free for all students of UCR.

Photo by Sara Kim

This is Grecia Marquez, she is the coordinator of R’Pantry. Her hopes for this program is that it’ll not only help college students stay nice and full, it’ll also expand into fresh produce in order to keep us all happy and healthy.

Photo by Sara Kim

The program began with the Chicano Studies department here at UCR. They saw such an enormous need for food assistance here on campus. Whether you are young parents going to school full-time with mouths to feed, or students on a budget without access to anymore government or school funding, R’Pantry is open for you.

Photo by Sara Kim

R’Pantry is stocked full of canned and packaged food items that will nourish your body as well as last quite some time in your pantry. You get up to five items per visit. For bigger items such as loaves of bread, (yes, they have full loaves of bread) they count as two items.

Photo by Sara Kim

Not only do they offer some of us college students’ favorite foods and snacks like Maruchan, they also have other necessary survival items such as deodorant, feminine products, diapers, even cat food.

We’ve all felt hunger and it’s not pleasant. Even more unpleasant is feeling like you have no one to ask for help. UCR as well the UC Global Food Initiative has heard your concerns and has teamed up to create a safe and discreet space for you to get all your nourishment needs. If you are unable to make it to the R’Pantry during the hours, you can always make an appointment with Grecia (grecia.marquez@ucr.edu).