After New Year's, you're bound to be bombarded with the articles that predict the upcoming year's trends. The colors of the year, fashion styles, and most importantly: new food trends. Whether it be the plant-based high protein veggie burgers, or a superfood, the new year comes with creative food fads. 

It may come as a surprise but mushrooms is a growing trend. I'm not talking about the average mushroom that you find in your pasta or on your pizza, but medicinal mushrooms with proven health benefits. One mushroom, in particular, is Reishi. Don't worry if you have no idea what this is. Here's everything you need to know about Reishi. 

What Is Reishi?

Scientifically named the Ganoderma Lucidum, Reishi dominated Chinese medicine for thousands of years. Safe to say, this medicinal mushroom has been around for this long for good reason. Not only does this mushroom have 400 bio-active compounds, but it has insane health benefits.

Sadly, on its own, Reishi tastes pretty terrible. Chinese medicine practices would crush the mushroom into a fine powder and mix it with hot water (similar to a tea), but now its more common to find them in the pharmacy aisle in Whole Foods as a natural supplement.

What Are the Benefits?

Reishi extract has a ridiculous amount of health benefits and almost no side effects. It modifies the immune system and reduces inflammation, which benefits people with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Asthma. Just 14 days on the supplement increases anti-inflammatory responses in the immune system. It helps the slow the spread of cancer because Reishi inhibits cancerous cell growth and tumor formation. As if that wasn't enough, Reishi relieves allergic reactions—even anaphylaxis. 

Reishi also helps with mood and energy. It can improve anxiety and depression, help you sleep, lower fat content in body, promote anti-aging qualities, and improves brain functioning, just to name a few. 

Reishi is also non-toxic and can be taken daily without side effects. There are so many benefits to adding this mushroom to your life, and literally no side effects. Seriously, who doesn’t want to feel and look younger? 

Mushroom Coffee

One way to get your daily dose of Reishi is through mushroom-infused coffee. Mushroom coffee has an earthy essence and is significantly less acidic than regular coffee. It has more antioxidants and less caffeine, which will reduce those post-coffee jitters. The coffee also promotes weight loss and reduces chances of UTIs—all because of the reduced acidity. 

Rebbl Coffee

Rebbl’s cold brew Reishi coffee just might be the best form of mushroom coffee around. It’s vegan, made with easy-to-read ingredients, and the coconut milk and vanilla gives it an ice cream-like flavor. Bonus: Rebbl is a social conscious company: 2.5 percent of the product sales go to Not For Sale, an organization that prevents human trafficking. Grab a bottle at your local Whole Foods, I swear its life changing.

There is no reason not to try Reishi in supplement or coffee form (but go for the coffee because it's tasty). You’ll receive so many health benefits, and you'll be getting your daily dose of caffeine. Ring in 2018 with this new food fad.