On a misty Saturday morning, I went to Barry’s Bootcamp at Back Bay and talked to fuel bar guru Eleni Dixon, and manager Sean Donovan to list some of the boot camp goers’ favorite drinks. Sometimes, we just don’t have the time to eat a proper, nutritious meal before or after a boot camp session. Whether you want to slim down, bulk up, or simply experience that runner's high; we have your back with a list of smoothies that you can grab right outside of the Red Room.

1. Slim Down 

Pre-Bootcamp

With coconut water, lemon juice, L-Carnitine, Stevia and ice, Lemonade Lipo is here to boost your metabolism. We all know incorporating lemon in our daily water intake does wonders for our bodies - better yet, lemon juice - but what is L-Carnitine and what does it do? Well, studies suggest that L-Carnitine may increase oxygen supply to your muscles and improve overall stamina.

Post-Bootcamp

One of the funkiest smoothies in the menu, the Detox Elixir mixes in activated charcoal, coconut nectar, coconut water, and lemon juice. Spring break is approaching, and we’re upping our workout game. Activated charcoal gives us a boost of energy by getting rid of toxins and oxidants – making it a powerful detox element. When shorts from last summer don’t fit anymore, the drink might be your answer to debloat and a flatter stomach.

2. Bulk Up

Pre-Bootcamp

Muscle Up lives up to its name with a tangy taste - orange juice and pineapple are juiced together with supplements like glutamine, creatine, BCAA, and egg white protein added to the mix for that muscle-breakdown prevention. Creatine is known to improve both upper and lower body strength, while BCAA, or branched-chain amino acid, helps you maintain mass on a caloric deficit. Normally, people who aim to bulk up is also working to cut down on fat – so this is where glutamine plays a part.

Post-Bootcamp

Matcha lovers out there, you’re in for a treat. Matcha Made in Heaven contains matcha – known for its ability to boost metabolism and increase fat oxidation; banana; almond butter; vanilla whey protein; almond milk; and spinach – for muscle development and revitalizing your energy post-workout. Taste wise, it’s a solid 5/5, but there’s always the option of switching out almond milk for coconut milk for an even more potent consistency.

3. Endorphin Rush

Pre-Bootcamp

Simply PB is a cult favorite. It has all the ingredients you want in a feel-good smoothie, and it’s far from lacking in the taste department. A mix of banana, peanut butter, cocoa powder, chocolate whey protein, and almond milk yields in a thicker smoothie, but it’s a great pick-me-up when you skipped a meal.

Post-Bootcamp

At 70 calories composed of just water, blueberries, and vanilla whey protein, this last drink is Basically Air. Quite surprisingly, blueberries are small but powerful – they’re known to reduce belly fat and help with muscle recovery.

Anya Gupta

The Fuel Bar experts at Barry’s Bootcamp recommended that smoothies be consumed 30-45 minutes prior to any session, so it’s not a bad idea to try to make them at home. If you’re not feeling an ingredient, always ask for a good substitute. Good luck, and happy experimenting!