Spoon University Logo
Popcorn for the People x Spoon

Kernels of Kindness: How Popcorn for the People Is Creating A Neurodiverse Future

Updated Published

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% our own.

To many, popcorn is a quintessential snack, perfect for satisfying a late-night crunch craving or accompanying a summer road trip. It’s versatile, able to be enjoyed salty, sweet, or somewhere in between, sharable (though you might want it all for yourself), and is, in my opinion, a necessity for any movie night or TV binge. Seriously, you won’t catch me pressing play until I have a bowl of popcorn in my lap.

But to the team at Popcorn for the People, popcorn is so much more than a simple snack; it’s a snack with purpose, a way to elevate and support the careers — and lives — of the neurodiverse community.

A Kernel Of An Idea

When co-founders Sam and Steve Bier discovered just how limited career opportunities were for neurodiverse individuals, they knew they needed to make a change. Up until Popcorn for the People’s founding in 2014, Sam had struggled to find work that felt fulfilling; beyond pushing shopping carts at a grocery store, he had yet to find an employer who was willing to give him a true career opportunity, one where he could feel empowered to learn and grow in his role.

Unfortunately, this scenario is all too familiar for the neurodiverse community, even today. So, the father-and-son duo set out to disrupt the market and create employment opportunities that weren’t just jobs, but long-term, sustainable, and gratifying careers. Their solution? Popcorn.

After stumbling across a listing for a popcorn store in a local business directory, the Biers realized the snack’s potential; popcorn is a widely enjoyed treat that isn’t confined to a specific season or demographic, making it an ideal product for a viable business. And so Popcorn for the People — and Let’s Work For Good, Inc., the non-profit organization behind it — transformed from a small kernel of kindness to a company that, today, is truly popping off.

Creating More Than Just Delicious Popcorn

Since 2014, Popcorn for the People has grown from a small team of the Biers and a few of their neighborhood friends to a full-fledged popcorn producer offering gourmet flavors, each made entirely by hand. The best part? The manufacturing and distribution of every product — from popping to seasoning, packaging, and selling — is led by a team of neurodiverse employees. 

Popcorn for the People operates based on three core values: fair wages, career advancement opportunities, and promoting respect and equality in the workplace. Each employee starts at the local minimum wage, with opportunities for raises. The entire team also has equal access to leadership and management roles, allowing them to grow within the organization and build a long-term career they can feel proud of. Perhaps most importantly, Popcorn for the People works hard to maintain an inclusive, supportive, and welcoming workplace, where every employee feels valued.

Today, Popcorn for the People operates out of two facilities: one in New Jersey, where the company was founded, and a new facility in Philadelphia that opened in February of 2024. This new location (which was built in partnership with Philadelphia’s professional football team) has not only given the brand a lot more exposure but also allowed them to expand their team, providing even more career opportunities to neurodiverse adults. 

Popcorn for the People’s success is a testament to the advantages of a neurodiverse workforce, and the team hopes other businesses will follow in their footsteps. The goal? To ensure everyone in the neurodiverse community has access to the kind of career opportunities Popcorn for the People provides, whether in food production or an entirely different industry.

How You Can Support Popcorn for the People’s Mission

Every time you reach for Popcorn for the People popcorn, you can feel good knowing your snacking session benefits way more than your tastebuds. In fact, every three bags purchased provides one hour of meaningful employment for neurodiverse individuals! Not only does every purchase directly support the current team, but it also helps further Popcorn for the People’s mission of creating a neurodiverse future within the workforce and beyond. 

And with these five delicious, gourmet flavors to choose from, how can you not feel good with a bag of Popcorn for the People in your pantry? 

Chicago Baked Cheddar, $8

Sweet & Salty Kettle, $8

Dark Chocolate Espresso, $8

Are you ready to start snacking with purpose? Visit popcornforthepeople.com to stock up on your favorite flavors and learn more about the brand’s mission!

Katy is a Branded Content Editor at Her Campus Media. She graduated from the University of Connecticut in 2018, where she studied communication. When she's not dreaming up new branded content ideas, you can find her trying new restaurants or enjoying a good book and a cup of tea.