Almond milk is so 2015. We live in a world of non-dairy milks and the new star is oat milk. Oat milk is made by soaking oats in water, blending the mixture, and then running the liquid through a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth until the liquid is separated from the remaining oat solids. It is lactose-free, as well as high in protein and low in fat. Its use is extremely versatile; it can be consumed plain, in oatmeal, cereal, coffee, smoothies, and more. The dairy company Hood just released its own line of oat milks, Planet Oat oat milk, in 4 different flavors: Original, Vanilla, Extra Creamy Original, and Dark Chocolate. The milks have no dairy, tree nuts, peanuts, gluten, soy, lactose, or artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors. Planet Oat oat milk is truly milk for the planet. The line of milks is all about celebrating the awesomeness of the oat. Not only does their oat milk taste great, but also each serving has 3 grams of protein and fiber. I was able to try all four flavors.

The Original really showcased the flavor of the oat the most. It was refreshing cold, but there was a slight odd aftertaste that revealed that it was not dairy milk.

Vanilla had a nice vanilla undertone that paired well with the natural flavor of the oat. It worked particularly well in both coffee and chia pudding.

Extra Creamy Original was great to mix into coffee, but it was almost a little too creamy to drink on its own.

Lastly, Dark Chocolate had a rich, dark chocolate color and tasted like creamy, cold hot chocolate. Hand a glass of this to any chocolate milk lover and they would never know that it was made from oats.

I also used the milks in various different recipes. The extra creamy was great to mix into my iced coffee. The vanilla was delicious to make overnight oats and chia pudding. Lastly, the dark chocolate was tasty to drink on its own. I also tried out a couple of the Planet Oat recipes listed on their website. The banana nut bread was vegan, but no one would have known. The bread was moist and full of banana flavor, plus the vanilla oat milk added a nice hint of vanilla. The brownies were rich and dense, but also very cakey. The dark chocolate oat milk added good moisture. Lastly, I made their butternut squash, kale, and bacon mac and cheese recipe which was creamy and delicious. This was a perfect use for the original oat milk because it didn’t compete with any of the other flavors in the dish, and it provided a great creamy base for the cheese sauce.

Planet Oat oat milk is a delicious, dairy-free alternative that is not just for drinking, but also for delicious recipes that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert. It is great because it is lactose and tree nut free, and also high in protein and fiber. Next time you reach for that carton of cow milk, think about trying out the power of the oat instead. Join the movement #drinkplanetoat.