The pickle is the best food on earth. It goes well with just about anything from a hamburger, as a side, in a salad or my go-to afternoon snack. Pickles are also very low in calorie—for the average size pickle, it is only around 8 calories. And some snack-size pickles are 5 calories.

If you have ever wondered WTF you’re eating when indulging in a pickle, I’m about to give you the lowdown and answer all your questions: 

When was the first pickle made?

oil, tea, vegetable
Christin Urso

Ever wonder about the history of a pickle? No? Well here it is. The earliest known examples are cucumbers that are known to have been pickled sometime around 2030 BC in Mesopotamia, when inhabitants from northern India brought cucumber seeds to the Tigris valley. Romans pickled their pickles in vinegar, oil, brine and sometimes even honey. Can you say yum?

What is a pickle?

vegetable, sweet
Christin Urso

A pickle is a pickled cucumber that has been pickled in a brine, vinegar or other solution and left to ferment for a period time. So basically a pickle is just a better cucumber. Like a pickle is a ten and the cucumber is like a low seven. Here’s the deets on each type of pickle and my personal opinion:

Dill/ Kosher dill

condiment, mustard, beer, pepper
Catherine Kinney

Tangy, in a vinegary brine with seasonings (such as mustard or coriander seeds) and dill (fresh, seeds, or oil) These are accessible anywhere and my family ALWAYS keeps them in the house. They have somewhat of an acidic/sour taste and taste great on sandwiches and burgers.

#SpoonTip: Vlasic is the best option, in my opinion.

Half Sour/ Sour

A photo posted by McClure's (@mcclurespickles) on

Crisp pickles in a seasoned brine without vinegar. In the first six to eight weeks after pickling, they're half sours, with a cucumber's fresh taste; they then turn into sour pickles (which are obviously the best). Sour pickles are my favorite by a long shot and they are filling which makes them a perfect snack.

#SpoonTip: McClures is the bomb (heart eyes).

Is it a breakfast food, lunch, dinner?

For me it’s breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, in the shower, anywhere. A good thing about pickles is you can literally eat them whenever you want. But I think they go best on sandwiches or at a BBQ.

Where are the best places to fulfill your pickle cravings (in NYC)?

Katz Delicatessen 

sandwich, slaw, coleslaw
Melanee Piskai

Damn ma, these pickles are to die for. Yes, I have been #blessed enough to get a chance to have bite of these and they are good. They have full sours, new pickles, and pickled tomatoes. My favorite is the full sour and get this—you can get a large bucket with 32-40 pickles. That is what I call a miracle.

Jacob's Pickles

A photo posted by Mie (@west72st) on

As quoted from their website: “We use pickles from start to finish, to wake up the taste buds as an appetizer then to cleanse the palette at the end of the meal. We even garnish a martini with a pickle instead of an olive, which raises some eyebrows.”

Now that sounds good to me. They have pickled candy red beets, dilly green beans, sour green tomato, and the classic kosher dill. I have been here before and I must say their kosher dill really hits the spot. 10/10.

The Pickle Guys

Ever since I was little, my family took monthly trips downtown to visit The Pickle Guys. It is the best experience that I always looked forward to. Not only are the pickles to die for, but the energy of this place is amazing. The workers are so friendly and it's lined with barrels of pickles of every flavor: half sour, sour, 3/4 sour, hot pickles, ½ hot pickles and the list goes on. A dream come true.

If you are a true pickle-lover, this should be your heaven on earth. And if you are not a pickle-lover then there's something actually wrong with you.

#SpoonTip: Wanna make your own? Here’s a great recipe to make your own pickles.