Living with roommates is challenging enough but the added element of sharing a kitchen makes the steaks, stakes high for collaboration and compatibility. Though it’s important to be on the same page about other domestic activities, what matters most really lies in the kitchen (doesn’t it always?).

Here are some things to consider:

1. Must have a mutual understanding of supply contribution.

roommates

Photo by Daniel Shuleman

With kitchen appliances, pots and pans, and basic supplies, it’s important to all have an unspoken (or maybe spoken) rotation of who buys napkins, paper towels, tin foil, parchment paper, etc…

2. Being on the same page with, or totally fine with each others’ dietary restrictions and decisions.

roommates

Photo by Sarah Joh

Whether you’re gluten free, dairy free, allergic to soy or eggs, vegetarian, flexitarian, vegan, or some combination, it’s important to find roommates that respect your dietary routine. It’s even more fun when you can find someone who eats like you, it does happen sometimes. If I could find roommates that share my love for vegetables and now share my flexitarian diet, there’s hope for finding your gluten free, nut free, Kosher soulmate roommate.

3. Be able to share groceries but always leave each other enough for the next meal.

the-claw-670x446-1

If you’re a systematic food-shopper and buy only ingredients that you know you’ll need, it’s important to watch all of your refrigerator essentials. There’s some fancy telepathy going on if your roommate knows she can snatch some of your onion but leaves you just enough for your omelet the next morning.

4. Helping out when food is about to go bad, or might have gone bad three months ago…

roommates

Photo by Gabrielle Taylor

Sometimes cucumbers go bad. It just happens, and maybe not out of the blue, but a roommate knows best to protect their roommate’s dignity and wellbeing beyond food borne illnesses by cleaning out the unwanted rot in the fridge. It’s somewhat of a “if you see something, do something” plan that is mutually understood and unspoken.

5. Knowing that the answer is always yes when the question regards dessert.

roommates

Photo by Phoebe Melnik

When it comes to the ever-important question of whether or not to make dessert, the answer should always be yes.

6. Cooking for each other is one of the nicest things you can do.

roommates

Photo by Megan Prendergast

There is nothing like the feeling of coming home from class or work late to find that they cooked dinner for both of you. You want those kind of people close.

7. Agree that cooking for each other is less fun than cooking with each other.

roommates

Photo by Jonathan Hsu

Find time to coordinate schedules and make dinner together. You share a kitchen whether you’re all in the kitchen at once or not. Putting in the effort to cook and eat a meal together is a nice way to start or end your day and if you’re lucky enough to have great roommates to do so with.