The name “toaster oven” may be a little misleading, as most of today’s models can do a lot more than just toast bread. You can make pizza, cook a whole chicken, broil fish or steak, bake cookies, and a lot more.  Most owners find that they use their full sized oven a lot less because the toaster oven is able to do exactly what they need in a shorter and more convenient way. Below are some benefits of using one of these small appliances in your home, sorority house, or apartment. 

Benefits:

On campus in my sorority house and living at home, I have had access to a toaster oven and to be honest it has been my favorite appliance to cook and bake in because of its versatility and convenience.  The toaster oven is a very convenient size.  It is big enough to cook a whole chicken, but also small enough to fit on the counter.

Kelsey Sweeney

A toaster oven is also extremely versatile with all of the different functions like reheat, bake, broil, toast, bagel, pizza, and warm.  These are just the functions on the toaster oven that I have access to, however a lot of toaster ovens have even more choices.

The toaster oven is also super easy to use and clean.  In just six to eight minutes I can bake warm and perfectly baked chocolate chip cookies.  Here's how I do it!

How to make cookies:

Kelsey Sweeney

Step 1: Put the dial on the Bake function and press start at the bottom.  The automatic temperature is 350 degrees, however with using the two temperature buttons it is so easy to change it.    Finally, wait until you hear a beep from the toaster oven to know it is ready to bake. 

Kelsey Sweeney

Step 2: Grab a piece of aluminum foil and roll of the sides like I have done in the photo above to make a plate for the cookies.  I just grabbed some cookie dough I had in a tub from the grocery store and made the cookie dough in to golf ball size balls.   

Kelsey Sweeney

Step 3: In just six to seven minutes, depending on how people like their cookies baked, the cookies are ready to eat! 

Kelsey Sweeney

Step 4: The cookies are ready to eat! 

The toaster oven is so easy to use and all in all a great appliance for college students to think about getting because of its convenience and versatility.