Eating avocados just got 10 times better. Researchers from four different universities are studying the effect of avocados on potential weight loss/weight gain. The experiment, being for the greater good of science (and avocado lovers), requires that participants eat one avocado per day for six months. In exchange, they receive money for their laborious eating efforts. 

How Does It Work?

guacamole, avocado, vegetable, salsa, herb

In official terms, the study is called Habitual Diet and Avocado Trial (HAT). It is sponsored by Wake Forest University, and participants are screened at four participating universities: Pennsylvania State University, Loma Linda University, UCLA, and Tufts University. Each of the four testing sites has space for 250 participants, making a grand total of 1000 lucky avocado testers. 

Avocado is known as the superfood, the "healthy fat," the perfect salad topper — but are these claims true? The objective of this study is to see if these common avocado claims are, in fact, true. The study specifically looks at visceral fat reduction (in human terms, belly fat reduction).

What's The Catch?

avocado, bread, guacamole, toast, egg, hummus, spread
Katie Luchette

Great news: there is no catch. HAT, like many other food-related studies, can be found on the National Library of Medicine's database, ClinicalTrials.gov. Keep an eye out for other studies that pay you to eat — not a bad gig!

Participants have a few requirements: they must be able to eat one avocado daily for six months, and they must be part of the target population (Americans with increased weight circumference). Upon participation, subjects must pick up fresh avocados on a bi-weekly basis. They will be instructed on how to pick ripe avocados beforehand.

How Much Do Participants Make?

bread, toast, vegetable, herb, guacamole, avocado
Julia Maguire

Eating avocados for a meaty salary sounds nice, but unfortunately, the study isn't that generous. According to the HAT description, participants will receive $300 upon completion after six months. That is, in addition to the daily avocados being paid for by the research centers. 

In case you're dying to find out the results of the HAT, the study is estimated to be completed in January 2022. By that point, we'll have a definite answer on whether or not avocados reduce belly fat. Until then, keep up the avo-cardio!