Home of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, it’s only natural to ensure your entree is made with parmesan cheese in Parma, Italy. Now that you’re looking for something that includes parmesan cheese, how about finding something that has a touch of culture?

Tortelli D’erbetta is from an ancient Parma tradition for the night of June 23. It’s where people gather with friends and family to eat this specific type of Tortelli in an outdoor area to celebrate the summer solstice under the stars.

Amanda Clark

Cantiere Del Borgo is the perfect classic yet modern restaurant with a small area for outdoor seating. While in Parma the day before the celebrated June 23, I had to immerse myself in the culture by eating outside and ordering the Tortelli D’erbetta. The Tortelli filling is a combination of ricotta, eggs, nutmeg, grated Parmigiano Reggiano, and spinach with melted butter and grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top of the pasta dish.

When getting the dish served in front of me, it didn’t look like it would be filling on an empty stomach, but once I ate the entire dish, I felt satisfyingly full. It isn’t a heavy pasta — it’s delicate and light with each bite. The cheese filling is fluffy and soft in texture while being absolutely delicious, especially with the extra grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top to add even more cheese flavor.

When the summer solstice tradition began, this dish was originally only available during the celebration. But now, with a more modern culture, the dish can be found year-round. So when in Parma, make sure to grab this pasta dish and give it a try — your tastebuds will thank you later.

Also, while in Parma, check out Gran Caffe del Teatro for an elegant experience. An old theater turned into a cafe is memorizing at first glance as it makes you feel like you’ve traveled back in time when wearing dresses were everyday clothes instead of sweatpants.

Amanda Clark

Unfortunately, I was short on time and only ordered an expresso, but this is the best expresso I’ve had. It’s rich in flavor, shooting the caffeine into your bloodstream, and the smell should be made into a candle. If you get a chance to visit this gorgeous cafe, make sure to try some of its other items on the menu, as every pastry item made me hungry on a full stomach.

Parma is the best place in Europe to get some traditional Parmigiano Reggiano and classic food.