Everyone get sick of campus food after a while. The available meals get really old really fast. But if you have to be on a diet free from some ingredient, your options are even more limited.

Luckily, you are not alone. Even luckier, the university knows this and provides diet-friendly menu options to fit your needs.

All the food on campus is marked with symbols showing their compatibility with certain diets. A ‘G’ with a slash through it shows an item is gluten free. A ‘D’ means that the food contains dairy. A vegetarian selection is shown by a ‘V’, while a vegan item has a ‘Vg’ next to it.

The places with the most diet friendly food options are the Student Union and the RPAC.
Here are the best ways to spend your blocks on healthy and delicious food while on a restricted diet.

Add fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet

diet

Photo by Maggie Figliomeni

Produce is gluten-free, lactose-free and vegan. No college student eats enough fruits and veggies. They are super healthy alternatives to overly processed chip and cookie sides.

The selection of “fresh” apples, oranges and bananas is not always so fresh. But fairly decent produce is at yogurt and salad bars where you can fill a container a la carte. Also, the fruit ‘ice cream’ sold at the RPAC Yonanas is super tasty.

Get on board with sushi

diet

Photo by Erin Stinard

Another food that’s great for many restricted diets is sushi. It’s also fairly good for you (if you go easy on the soy sauce).

You don’t have to like raw fish to partake—there are lots of fully cooked options. My personal favorite? The teriyaki chicken bowl with grilled chicken, sticky rice and avocado.

Hit up your nearest dining hall

diet

Photo by Maggie Figliomeni

Dining halls are a good bet because you get to pick and choose exactly what you want.

Lactose intolerant? Get a made to order omelet, hold the cheese. Gluten-free? Opt for a grilled chicken breast. Vegetarian? The Student Union has an entire food station dedicated to you.

It’s important to pay attention to what you put in your body no matter your circumstances. Know your options and you will find there is delicious, healthy food out there to fit everyone’s needs.

Check out these related articles: