Black Market Bakers has been a been a staple in Annapolis, MD since it opened up in Summer of 2020. This food truck located ran by Sarah Carr, Tom O’Leary and his son Steve O’Leary, has Annapolitans lining up each weekend, rain or shine, for delicious breakfast sandwiches, pastries, bread, and coffee. Their menu is extensive, and they switch up what (many) specials they offer each weekend. In addition, they always have vegan options for those looking to eat plant-based.

Collyn Ballentine

Last winter, Tom and Steve went on NBC’s holiday baking special “Baking It,” hosted by Maya Rudolph and Andy Samberg, in which they placed in third. After watching their success on the show, and enjoying countless breakfasts at the truck in the past year, you can imagine I was ecstatic to here that in addition to their food truck, they were opening up a storefront in Edgewater, MD, just a quick drive from Annapolis. So, on April 15, 2022, my mom, grandma, and I drove to their storefront to celebrate their opening day and enjoy a delicious breakfast. While there was a long line, per usual, the service was quick and the food was well worth the wait.

Collyn Ballentine
Collyn Ballentine

For breakfast I got a vegan breakfast sandwich made with sourdough bread, old bay marinated tofu, tomato slices, and micro greens. I also got a blueberry lemon scone, my favorite.

Collyn Ballentine

My mom got a bacon, egg, and cheese on an English muffin. She said the bacon was delicious, the eggs were fresh, and the English muffin was perfectly toasted.

Collyn Ballentine

My grandma got the avocado toast, which again to no surprise, she also enjoyed.

Collyn Ballentine

As a longtime fan of Black Market Bakers, I can confidently say I will continue to make the drive to their storefront. And to anyone in or visiting the Annapolis area, I urge you to stop by for a breakfast, as you surely will not be disappointed. 

Interested in more about vegan baking? Checkout this article by Sarah Su at UC Berkeley.

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/exploring-the-art-of-vegan-baking-a-new-beginning