Unlike can openers, most college students probably own more bottle openers than pencils. However, when you’re in a hurry to get to that Woad’s pre-game, you’re probably not going to remember to bring one along (much less your room keys). So, here are a couple of ways you can open your bottle of beer or other bottled beverage (but mostly beer) without a bottle opener.

1. Spoon

Just tuck the rim of the spoon under the bottle cap and apply pressure as you would to a normal bottle opener.

bottle

Photo courtesy of WikiHow

But be warned…don’t use one of your favorite spoons or it might end up looking a little like this:

bottle

Photo courtesy of dorithegiant.com

2. Car buckles

Like the spoon, slip the opening of the car buckle under the bottle cap and use like a normal bottle opener. But be careful not to spill your drink in your car or you might get some interesting questions from relatives…or the police.

bottle

Photo courtesy of WikiHow

3.  Door

When you’re at a pre game and truly desperate for that drink, you need to take extreme measures. Tuck the bottle cap under the lip of the door hinge, and pull.

bottle

Photo courtesy of WikiHow

Before you use this method, remove any kind of carpet from the room…you’ll be thankful the next morning. Hopefully you won’t get a giant, sticky puddle in your doorway and be like this…

Courtesy of Giphy

4.  Wrap & Twist Method

This method is not for the weak. Wrap a rubber band or a piece of cloth around the bottle cap and twist until it opens.

bottle

Photo courtesy of WikiHow

5.  Key

If you happened to remember to bring your key, you deserve a gold star.  Use the key to work around  the bottle cap to loosen it.  After a while, you should be able to take it off easily.

bottle

Photo courtesy of WikiHow

bottle

Photo courtesy of WikiHow

bottle

Photo courtesy of WikiHow

6.  Belt

At least one person from your party should have a belt on.  Use the buckle of the belt as a bottle opener. Warning: you might get weird looks when you ask someone to take off their belt…

bottle

Photo courtesy of WikiHow

If all else fails, just use any hard, sturdy object and try to pry the cap from the bottle. Depending on how desperate you are for that cold bottle of beer, you’ll succeed.