Over recent years, avocados have blown up our health crazes. We are convinced that they have ‘good fats’ but few of us truly know the miraculous benefits these fats can have on our bodies. Without going into the exact science of these fatty acid chains, it can be simply put that good fats are good for our organ functions and processes. Keeping our bodies healthy from the outside in and the inside out are both easily accomplished by this powerhouse superfood. Whether your hair or your stomach needs a little TLC, we got you covered.

Outside–>In (skin):
Although many people may not know this, the largest organ in the human body is our skin. Avocados can be used as a moisturizer with added vitamins and minerals that all work together to enhance everything from our faces to our sunburns; packed full with biotin, vitamin E and, of course, our fave oily fats, avocados are sure to make your skin as smooth as a baby’s bottom. Directions: Smash avocado on your face and let the avocado work its magic.

avocado

Photo by Hannah Giardina

Inside–>Out (stomach):
Our stomachs are not only the key to our hearts, but they’re also the key to our health. And taking one step towards improving our health is as simple as incorporating or substituting an avocado into your morning smoothie–I swear it’s good– to add a little smooth to that smoothie. Usually a banana or milk are best for a smooth texture, but avocado will do the same thing with the added bonuses that come with eating this superfood.

avocado

Photo by Hannah Giardina

For the love of avocado:
Whether switching out butter for avocado, or smothering it all over your face, avocados can really be used in countless ways while still putting their powerhouse nutrients to good use. For more information and countless recipes, check out some of the other Spoon articles below: