In college, we sometimes get so busy studying and consumed with classes that we either forget to eat or don't have time to go to the dining hall and get food. It is important to carry around on-the-go nutritious snacks in your bag/backpack to be able to enjoy when you are pressed for time and desperately need energy. 

Lärabar

Lärabar is a fruit and nut bar that contains a very simple and clean ingredient list. They have so many flavors to choose: from peanut butter chocolate chip to key lime pie, oh my! These bars contain healthy fats from nuts and natural sugar from dates, which both keep you full for a long time.

Why Lärabar is a great option?

These are my favorite to have as breakfast if I can't get to the dining hall before my 8am class. They provide me with a delicious bar and also the energy I need until I can get to the dining hall for lunch.

Munk Pack Oatmeal Fruit Squeeze

I came across these in the grocery store a couple of weeks ago and literally fell in love with them. These oatmeal fruit squeezes are perfect for on-the-go snacking because they don't have to be refrigerated. They are just the same concept as squeezeable applesauce, but these have more fiber and nutrients from the oats.

These oatmeal packs contain gluten-free oats and all kinds of fruit. 

Why are these better than applesauce squeezes?

Munk Pack Oatmeal squeezes contain oatmeal, which provides you with fiber to keep you full for a long time. Along with oatmeal, many of the flavors contain chia seeds or flax seeds, which add some protein and healthy fats to your diet. Also, these squeezes have delicious flavors ranging from apple quinoa cinnamon to peach chia vanilla.

ProBar Almond/Peanut Butter Packets

ProBar has an amazing line of products, and my favorite is their nut butter packets. When I know I am going to have a long day with classes and studying, I can throw one of these in my backpack to give me a little brain boost with healthy fats and flavor.

Why are these better than just regular nut butter packets?

ProBar blends their nut butter with dates (for added sweetness,) and coconut oil (for a smooth consistency,) so it makes the texture and flavor unique and not as boring as plain peanut or almond butter.

Other way to eat:

I also love to bring one of these packets to the dining hall and put it on a piece of toast or in my oatmeal in the morning.

Dried Chickpeas

This is my favorite on-the-go snack for some plant-based protein while studying. Dried chickpeas are crunchy and so flavorful. There are so many flavors of dried chickpeas on the market now because they are so popular.

I am a fan of plain sea salt, but I have also tried ranch and a smoky chili lime flavor.

This is also the brand of dried chickpeas that I like, but if you want to make your own, follow this simple recipe. This way, you can add your favorite homemade seasoning. But for an average college student, you don't have an oven to make dried chickpeas, so there are always cheap options in the store to stock up on.

Crackers

Simple Mills crackers have such an amazing taste, and their ingredient list is packed with healthful things such as nut and seed flour blends with almonds and flax seeds, but this doesn't change the taste of the crackers at all, just adds some health benefits. These crackers are also gluten-free, so they are a perfect on-the-go snack, or just an alternative to crackers for our gluten-free friends.

Some of their flavors are: sea salt, farmhouse cheddar, rosemary and tomato basil. These are a perfect addition to your on-the-go snacks for some saltiness and crunch.

Fresh or Dried Fruit

This is the last on-the-go snack option we have for college student--dried fruit. It is so easy to throw a bag of these dried apples, (or whatever kind of fruit you like,) into your backpack for a mid-day sweet snack. Another great option if you go to the dining hall on your campus is to grab a good ol' piece of fruit. Grab one or two on your way out the door to keep a fresh on-the-go snack in your bag.

Minimize Waste:

Also when packing on-the-go snacks, try to use reusable containers and bags to minimize your waste. Often, on-the-go snacks contain so much packaging that just gets thrown in the garbage. So buy in bulk and then separate your snacks in your reusable containers.

Sometimes you have to buy foods with packaging and individual servings, (like the Munk Pack Oatmeal Squeezes or the nut butter packets,) but just be aware of the waste from these snacks.

Final thoughts:

Whatever on-the-go snack you choose to keep in your bag, just make sure you have some type of food always in your bag to prevent annoying hunger pangs while in class or studying.

Bottom Line:

Always try to get a meal when you can, but these on-the-go snacks are good for quick pick-me-ups while studying or in class or when you can't get to the dining hall.