Ahhh, Valentine’s Day. The perfect time to go out and spend money on chocolate and cake and cookies and have an excuse. Or to sit in bed alone watching The Notebook while crying (don’t worry, we’ve all been there). Should you find yourself out with your sweetheart or out of Nicholas Sparks movies to watch, here are the best places in Bloomington to get your sweet on.

Scholar’s Inn Bakehouse

dessert

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Although this Bloomington staple is better known for burgers and breakfast (although they do have a gourmet sister location), this unique, New-York style restaurant has a delectable dessert section as well. From delicious dream bars to their acclaimed Black and Tan cake, there’s something here for everyone. If you’re feeling the V-Day spirit, try one of their miniature Valentine’s layer cakes with a cup of their Highway 37 coffee. It’s just the right combination to sate your palette without going overboard.

#SpoonTip: A Valentine’s Day breakfast date is something completely unique and will make this year’s date stand out!

BLU Boy Chocolate Cafe and Cakery

dessert

Photo by Gillian Fulford

Nestled right by the famous FARM is this adorable, almost Parisian cafe. This cozy Bloomington gem has some of the best craft chocolates in town. Their hand-painted confections feature daring flavors like ancho chile and Fiori di Sicilia alongside more popular dark and milk chocolate assortments. You can even make a custom box of chocolate from any combination of flavors they have in the store!

Topo’s 403

dessert

Photo by Claire Waggoner

For something a little more upscale, look no further than Topo’s 403. This Greek-inspired restaurant is doing a Valentine’s weekend this year, so in case you aren’t feeling like going out and spending hours waiting for a table, consider a pre-Valentine’s date for you and someone special (or you and you). Dessert? Treat yo’ self.

#SpoonTip: Check out the dark chocolate mousse or passion fruit creme brulee if you’re looking for something reeeeeally special.

Rainbow Bakery

dessert

Photo by Mia Mastandrea

Well-known and well-loved around Bloomington for a reason, this adorably colorful little bakery is perfect for anyone who is vegan or gluten-free. While their Valentine’s specials (Mini cakes! Cupcake couples! Cookie conversation hearts!) are out-of-this-world, don’t forget about the other amazing goodies in their shop. All their donuts are good enough to make you reconsider everything you’ve ever thought about vegan food.

Baked! of Bloomington

dessert

Photo by Claire Waggoner

Cookies. That wasn’t enough? How about customizable cookies? Still not convinced? How about customizable heart-shaped cookie cakes with a hand-piped message?! Baked! is pretty much the best delivery service in Bloomington, and there is nothing more romantic than someone getting you custom cookies with your fave ingredients. Well, other than someone getting you a giant cookie shaped like a heart made with your favorite ingredients, that is. So show someone you care and ask them to share their giant cookie with you this V-Day.

#SpoonTip: Order your cookie cake as early as possible to ensure you can get one in time – they’re popular!

Crumble Coffee and Bakery

dessert

Photo by Gillian Fulford

This newcomer to Bloomington’s east side has proved to be a coffee-loving student’s dream, with a plethora of sweet treats and a sunlit space perfect for cuddling up with a generously-sized coffee. If you aren’t in the mood for any of their delicious scones or cookies, try their sweetheart mocha, an indulgent drink made with white and dark chocolate, as well as raspberry to finish things off with a fruity kick.

Now go out and celebrate this mushy over-commercialized holiday like a true Bloomingtonian – with a copious amount of sweets.