I bet you all know Stephen Colbert, one of Northwestern’s most beloved alumni. I bet you also know that Colbert has his own flavor of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, AmeriCone Dream, which contains “1776% of your recommended daily allowance of freedom!”

After all, who hasn’t devoured a pint of said ice cream in one sitting on more than one occasion. (Fudge + caramel + waffle cone = what’s not to love?)

ice cream

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

What I bet that you didn’t know is that every time you purchase one of these bad boys (the ice cream, not Colbert), you’re donating to charity.

That’s right, every time you buy a carton of the oh-so delicious fudgy, crunchy, sweet ice creamy goodness, a portion of your purchase goes toward The Stephen Colbert AmeriCone Dream Fund, which donates to a diverse collection of good causes, ranging from providing food and medical assistance to disadvantaged children, to helping veterans and their families, to protecting the environment.

ice cream

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

So where does this leave us, fellow Northwestern students? Recently, a movement has started to push the Northwestern administration to adopt AmeriCone Dream as our official ice cream flavor, something I think we can all agree everyone would benefit from.

ice cream

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Giving AmeriCone Dream the official wildcat seal of approval not only means helping Colbert fight the good fight through his philanthropy, but also bringing America one step closer to its original greatness. As Colbert said when he launched the flavor back in 2007, “Dessert has a well-known liberal agenda, [so] it’s great that I’m finally bringing some balance back to the freezer case.”

ice cream

Photo by Ally Mark

Although Colbert has recently switched from hosting “The Colbert Report” to the “Late Show”, Ben & Jerry’s will continue to produce AmeriCone Dream, and Colbert will continue to use his fame to encourage donations to charities.

ice cream

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

So, in the name of Willie, Morty Schapiro, the color purple and all else that’s good in the world, let’s all help one of our favorite cats save the world by signing this petition to make AmeriCone Dream Northwestern’s official ice cream flavor.