New Orleans is a city full of culture, history, and of course, food. There are so many expressions unique to the area that are used to describe all of the amazing food you'll come across. However, it can get (super) confusing for those who are new to the city. Use this guide to help you navigate the New Orleans food slang.

Andouille: a cajun pork sausage that is smoked, seasoned, and often found in dishes like gumbo and jambalaya.

Beignet: French term for a fried dough square typically served warm with powdered sugar on top. Cafe du Monde is the most famous beignet shop in the city, so be sure to add this landmark destination to the top of your "must-try" list.

Cajun: a style of cooking named after French settlers who made their way to Louisiana in the 1700s. Cajun food often uses ingredients like peppers, onions, celery, and herbs, in addition to a lot of seasoning. For a modern take on traditional cajun cuisine, be sure to check out Cochon in downtown New Orleans.

Chicory: an herb that New Orleanians traditionally use to flavor their coffee.

Crawfish: freshwater shellfish that resemble small lobsters and are eaten plain or prepared in dishes such as étouffée, mac and cheese, fritters, pie, and other local favorites. Frankie and Johnny's is a restaurant located in Uptown New Orleans famous for serving boiled crawfish in a lively, neighborhood atmosphere.

Creole: another style of cooking similar to cajun cuisine, but slightly more specific to New Orleans and features more exotic ingredients. Creole food blends culinary influences from all over the world. Get a taste of NOLA's finest creole cuisine at the Commander's Palace in the Garden District. It is most known for its elegant (and tasty) jazz brunch, and you can't miss the bright turquoise exterior of this iconic restaurant.

Gumbo: a thick type of soup popular in Louisiana commonly made with meat, seafood, okra, and vegetables.

Jambalaya: a dish involving a mixture of rice, meat, vegetables, and seasoning. It is a staple in both creole and cajun cuisines.

King Cake: a cake made from twisted dough and often stuffed with cream cheese or filling. It is covered with purple, yellow, and green sprinkles and is associated with Mardi Gras. A plastic baby is hidden inside each cake and according to custom, the person who discovers the treasure in their slice receives good luck. Breads on Oak is a must-try bakery and cafe located close to campus where you can find freshly baked king cake (plus it's 100% vegan).

Lagniappe: French term for a small gift given to a customer after a purchase (a baker's dozen, for example).

Po-boy: a traditional New Orleans sandwich with meat or seafood as well as a variety of other toppings stuffed between sliced French bread. You can choose to have your po-boy "dressed," meaning that it comes with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and mayonnaise. Though there are countless po-boy spots in New Orleans, some local favorites include Domilise's, Killer Po-boys, Johnny's Po-boys, and Mahony's.

Sno-ball: shaved ice topped with flavored syrup, perfect for a hot day in NOLA. You can customize the flavors, mix-ins, and add-ons that go into this treat. Plus, you can find sno-ball stands located all across the city.

Consider this your New Orleans food slang dictionary. Now that you have some insight into the local language, be sure to go out and try some of the many dishes and flavors unique to "The Big Easy."