This past month, Taste of New Haven hosted Apizza Feast, which featured some of the best Greater New Haven area mobile pizza trucks and dessert trucks for a evening of fun and deliciousness.

Apizza

Photo by Kristina Kim

But first you may be thinking, what is heck is “Apizza?”

Apizza

GIF courtesy of reactiongifs.com

No, it’s not a spelling error, and no, it’s not pronounced “a-pizza.” It’s actually the colloquial name for the famous New Haven-style pizza and it is pronounced “a-Beets.”

Unlike your typical New York slice, New Haven pizza is often very thin crusted and a bit charred due to being fired in a coal or wood burning oven. This gives it a unique flavor that even a New Yorker like myself can appreciate and marvel at. If you made the mistake of not going, here’s is what you missed out on:

A Taste of Local Flavor – Native Tomato Pizza from De Legna

Apizza

Photo By Kristina Kim

As summer comes to a close, tomato season does as well. There’s nothing like a fresh, in-season tomato. Put it on some pizza and you’ve got a match made in heaven. This Native Tomato slice from De Legna featured fresh, local tomatoes and basil, which worked perfectly together with the typical New Haven thin crust.

Personal Pies from Dough Girls

Apizza

Photo by Kristina Kim

What’s better than a slice of pizza? A personal pie, of course. A vodka sauce base topped with prosciutto, aged mozzarella and fresh arugula made this creation from Dough Girls one that stood out. Each of the ingredients complemented one another so well and the crust was a great balance between soft and chewy and crispy and crunchy. Definitely one of my favorites from the event.

Cupcakes from Sugar 

Apizza

Photo by Kristina Kim

After filling up on this salty, savory apizza feast, you could have treated your sweet tooth with some cupcakes from the award wining Sugar Cupcake Truck or with a few cannolis from the Cannoli Truck. Although I was too full to indulge myself, you can see from these pictures why these desserts were so hard to pass up.

Only a sugar rush, courtesy of Sugar Cupcake Truck, could motivate my trek up the Hill today #blessed #spoonfeedyale #spoonfeed

A photo posted by Spoon University Yale (@spoon_yale) on

YUM

Oreos + Cannoli = happiness

If you love pizza, then I don’t know how you could have missed this event. If you don’t love pizza, you should probably definitely reevaluate and give New Haven’s apizza a shot. Somehow if you did miss this event and you love pizza, not to worry. Apizza is not going anywhere soon. As long as you are in New Haven, you can definitely get your fix.

Apizza

Photo by Kristina Kim