Spoon University Logo
meal plan in college
meal plan in college
Design by Audrey Wu for Spoon University
Lifestyle

Don’t Have A Meal Plan? Here’s How To Navigate Campus Without One

Let’s face it: eating on campus is so much easier when you have a meal plan. Hungry? Just go to your nearest dining hall. You can choose between the salad bar, sandwich station, or just grab an already cooked meal. For dessert, there’s plenty of baked goods to finish your meal off with, not to mention the ice cream machine. With a single meal swipe, there’s dozens of meal choices at your fingertips.

But if you’re like me and have decided to make the big decision of ditching the meal plan next semester, you probably feel a little lost. You don’t know where your next meal will come from. Everything costs money, and as a college student, you’re not exactly rolling in it. You no longer have swipe access to the reliable dining halls. Here’s how to crush your meals next semester, with no meal plan.

Where can I find cheap meals?

Depending on where you go to college, your campus will likely have eateries that are catered to the budget of a college student. Many of them will even have a student discount that can be applied to your meal once you show your campus ID.

Your college may also have partnerships with delivery apps, like GrubHub, Uber Eats, and Doordash. At Boston University, for example, students get $0 delivery fees when using GrubHub. There are also student discount codes that drop periodically, which can really help bring your total down. Subscriptions like DashPass and Uber One can also save you money on deliveries. Monthly and annual memberships can give you benefits like $0 delivery costs.

@chi.iheme

@DoorDash & @Uber Eats have quite literally saved me so many times in my college experience 😭 #doordash #ubereats #collegeadvice #hbcuadvice #hbcu101 #college101 #collegetips

♬ original sound – Chi ❤︎

How can I make the most out of my meals?

Leftovers will be your best friend. It’s important to buy meals that can last into the next one, or even the next day. If you’re a fan of bowls (like me), this won’t be hard for you. Bowls from places like Chipotle, Cava, and El Jefe’s are sure to stay good when stored in the fridge and heated up later on. 

You should also be thinking about portions and getting the most food for the least amount of money. That way, you can get multiple meals for the price of one. For example, a huge hero from your campus sandwich joint can be broken into lunch and dinner. 

What if I have a kitchen?

https://www.tiktok.com/@lauren.kobalka/video/7293273916280393006

If your living situation is equipped with a kitchen, there are even more ways to get around not having a meal plan. There are plenty of easy recipes that are tailored to college students, requiring little-to-no cooking skills. You could try sushi bowls with imitation crab and rice or japchae noodles with salad, like Lauren Kobalka, a food content creator, has.

Plus, cooking meals is cheaper than constantly eating out. You can also use tupperware containers to keep your leftovers fresh or to bring your meals on the go. 

Meal prepping is also a good way to plan your cooked meals for the week. TikToker Karen Velderrain is a nutrition science major who prepares healthy meals weekly. Not only will this save you a lot of money, but it will also give you some reassurance about what your next meal will be, and help you order out less.

Making a grocery list before you head to the store can also be helpful to conserve money. I find that going to the store without a list makes me want to grab every item off the shelves, and then I’m always shocked by my huge total at checkout. Decide on your budget, and then list out the items you need.

If your cooking abilities aren’t quite ready for making meals from scratch, I can relate. That’s why I’m constantly at Trader Joe’s picking up frozen meals. I highly recommend their frozen pastas, especially the penne arrabbiata. For just a couple dollars, you can make a gourmet pasta dish on the stove. Here are tons of three-ingredient meals you can make from Trader Joe’s ingredients.

What resources on my campus can help me get food?

@ncataggiesource

There is nothing to be ashamed of we want you to come visit us ! Don’t forget ro stop by 2x every month and grab your daily food and hygeine necesseties. #aggiesource #NCAT #FNS #donationsneeded #northcarolinaat

♬ Murda on the dancefloor sped up – Stan 🙂

If you’re really in a bind financially and struggling with food security, your campus is likely to have resources available, like a food pantry. Some colleges even have a system where students can donate extra dining dollars to students who are in need. 

Amanda Brucculeri is the fall editorial intern for Spoon University, where she covers food news and emerging trends. Beyond Spoon University, Amanda works as the podcast editor for Boston University News Service, where she oversees a team of reporters covering news through audio. She also writes for the city column of The Buzz Magazine, and is the host of a true crime radio show on WTBU student radio. She is currently a junior at Boston University, majoring in journalism with a minor in public relations. In her free time, she enjoys curating playlists, trying new restaurants, and watching movies.