I did something a little different for Passover this year; I decided to partake in it – at least food-wise. My friend/photographer/Passover-Food-Guide, Caitlin, explained to me the do’s and don’ts of Passover a day before we began. Basically, for me, it all generally equated to being unable to eat all the things that compose my main source of nourishment: carbs (blanket Passover term: chametz).

But it was definitely interesting. I learned just how painful even nearly-fasting can be and that I can keep up being disloyal to pizza for a week. I got more of an educated glance at the inner-workings of the “Passover diet.” Also, I learned the beauty of Matzo (with peanut butter on top).

Here’s a summary of what I ate during the past week (with photos of Passover food weaved in).

Friday

In the morning, I ate my final bagel. I nearly wept. I ate dinner before sundown because I was scared to not eat carbs (totally not addictive behavior, right?).

Passover

Photo by Caitlin Wolper

Saturday

Much to our (Caitlin and my) displeasure, West Food Commons did not have the Passover buffet set up. So my diet consisted of nearly an entire box of Matzo and peanut butter. Judge me.

Passover

Photo by Caitlin Wolper

Sunday

There was intensive conflict this day due to it being Easter. My mother was so kind as to give me money to go search downtown for Passover-friendly meal options. We found it: We had salmon, veggies and potatoes down at the heaven-sent Allen Street Grill. I wanted to personally kiss the chef for providing me with something that wasn’t practically peanut butter on cardboard.

Passover

Photo by Caitlin Wolper

Monday through Friday

I relied on the West Passover Buffet the entire week. I tried some new food items like Matzo Ball Soup, Potato Kugel and Macaroons (which I should have had prior to this, but I am vastly uncultured). I think I managed to consume 3 boxes of Matzo and 3 jars of peanut butter, regrettably. Every time I went running at the gym I felt as if I was hoarding the pillsbury doughboy in my stomach.

But I couldn’t stop eating it no matter how hard I tried. I was so weak.

Passover

Photo by Caitlin Wolper

Saturday

Finished a box of Matzo and peanut butter. Angrily threw it into the garbage can as an act of liberation. And for dinner… Cait and I had pizza. Pizza covered in our tears of victory and perseverance. God bless.

Passover

Gif by Caitlin Wolper

Overall, this was really fun to do. I learned a lot just by partaking in the diet of a religious holiday that I had never really looked into before. Although living off potatoes and peanut butter isn’t fabulous, I am still amazed at the availability of items provided by our school (and also that I didn’t die due to lack of carbs for a week– I’ll make up for it soon, I’m sure).

Like this post? Then check these out: