Everyone knows about Valentine's Day, but what about Galentine's Day? As Leslie Knope explains it, “Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies.” We use this day to celebrate our girl gangs with fun, friendship and most importantly: food! There are so many choices as to what you and your BFFs can snack on, but here are some of absolute must-haves.

Brunch

Like Leslie Knope said, kicking it breakfast style is the only way to do Galentine's day. You and your girls can either go out or stay in for this brunch -- ladies' choice. If going out, you could go to a cute, aesthetically pleasing spot to enjoy some good food and take insta-worthy pictures of each other! If staying in, you could do it up big in the kitchen. This means cooking all of the brunch essentials including eggs, French toast and waffles! Accompany this food with some cute, Galentine's day themed drinks and you’re golden.

Cupcakes

cake, strawberry, buttercream, cupcake
Maggie Morris

To accompany all that brunch food, you’re definitely going to need some sweets, and there are so many possibilities for what you can do with cupcakes. You could make strawberry or red velvet flavored cupcakes, following the traditional red and pink theme. You could also make some decadent chocolate cupcakes to indulge in, topped with buttercream frosting. If baking isn’t your thing, a cupcake decorating contest with all of your best friends would be a super fun way to get creative with plenty of pink and red sprinkles, pink frosting, and heart-shaped decals.

Red Velvet Everything

If you decide to go the cupcake route, then red velvet is the way to go! First of all, it’s red (duh), which will go perfectly with your Galentine's color scheme. Second of all, it goes beautifully with some cream cheese frosting and a couple of sprinkles. Third of all, you can make it in any form and it’ll still taste great. If you’re not into cupcakes, you could also bake it into a cake, donuts, cake pops -- honestly the possibilities are endless.

Strawberries

juicy, berry, berries, stems, boxes, strawberries, strawberry, Green, Red, sweet, Summer, farm, Organic, Fresh, Fruit
Katie Kasperson

With all these sweets on the table, you may want to add some fruit to the mix (or maybe just fruit-flavored sweets). In any case, strawberries are definitely the way to go for a Galentine's celebration. You can do so many things with them, like fruit salad or chocolate covered strawberries. You can also make frosting out of them or bake them into a cake! For something lighter, you could blend them into fruit smoothies or other fun drinks for you and your BFFs to enjoy!

Galentine's day is a day to celebrate the amazing women you call your best friends. You can take this day to go do fun activities, have a party, or have a girls night in. But whatever you do, it should definitely include food, especially these Spoon-approved treats!