As we try to survive these March snowstorms, and there’s no question we all want to stay as warm as possible. Instead of having to go outside in search of something to do, it’s the most wonderful time of the year for a good ol’ movie marathon. So break out the footie pajamas, call over a few friends and serve up some snacks to enjoy a toasty evening in front of the TV (or most likely your laptop). Of course different movies stir up distinct emotions, so it’s critical that we have the ideal comfort foods at hand.

Drama

If you’re looking for a serious, dark film, it’s vital to chow down on some powerful, rich snacks that certainly mean business. Look past the frilly, fruity, light and airy food section in your cabinet and grab some foods that man you up for the set of drama ahead. Hey, while you’re in the kitchen, why not rustle up a roast beef BLT on rye with a dollop (or 3) of thousand island dip.

Movie Picks:
The Departed
The Dark Knight
Up in the Air
Bad Santa

Snack Picks:
Beef jerky
Dark chocolate raisins
Doritos cool ranch flavor

Try our Simple Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe.

Chick Flick

Movie Munchies

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki

If you’re looking for a funny chick flick with your girls, dig into those bags of chips and jars of peanut butter that you vowed never to eat in front of boys. If you’re over 21, plan a Mexican-themed fiesta with tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole and margaritas to go with these girl power movies.

Movie Picks:

Mean Girls
Bring it On
Legally Blonde
Most John Hughes’ films (e.g. The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink)

Snack Picks:

Pretzel rods dipped in chunky peanut butter
Cheez-Its and Goldfish crackers
Sour Cream & Onion Pringles
Nutella-covered biscotti

Try our Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles recipe.

Romantic Drama or Comedy

Movie Munchies

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki

If you’re looking for a romantic evening with your special someone, set aside a blanket, candles and a bottle of wine (or hot chocolate for the underaged) to set the mood. Perhaps a box of tissues as well. As for munchies, make sure chocolate is involved; chocolate is a known aphrodisiac and will help bring the love from the movie to your home.

Movie Picks:

The Notebook
Dirty Dancing
The Vow

Snack Picks:

Chocolate-covered strawberries
Chocolate truffles
Warm chocolate chip cookies
Chocolate-covered graham crackers

Thriller

Movie Munchies

Photo by Andrea Kang

If you’re looking for a good scare, you’re going to need something to munch on to calm your adrenaline. Crunchy snacks help take the edge off, probably because the sound can distract you from the blood-chilling silence of the scary scene. The perfect thriller flick snack should also be easy to consume quickly, devoid of any wrappers or hard-candy stickiness.

Movie Picks:

Kill Bill
The Ring
The Exorcist

Snack Picks:

Popcorn is perfect, and you can easily prepare a special batch to take your mind off of potentially nightmare-inducing scenes. Sprinkle popped kernels with seasonings such as salt, pepper, olive oil and Parmesan. Add chocolate chips, pretzels and caramel for a sweeter treat. Combine cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins for another sweet option.Try our recipe for chocolate drizzled popcorn.

Raunchy Comedy

Movie Munchies

Photo by Kelda Baljon

If you’re looking for some dirty humor, unleash your full “bro” self with snacks like wings, cheese and greasier foods. Have a beer if you’re over 21; it’ll make the film and feast even more enjoyable, especially when you have to tolerate the overused fart jokes you’ll find in many such comedies.

Movie Picks:

Bad Teacher
The Hangover
American Pie (1-3 and Reunion)
40-Year-Old Virgin

Snack Picks:

Pizza
Sliders
Wings (check out our gluten-free recipe!)
Fries

Try our sweet potato fries recipe.

Animation

Movie Munchies

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki

On the other end of the movie spectrum opposite the raunchy comedy, animated flicks offer a trip down memory lane into the wonderful carefree years of youth. To get the full experience, watch a musical cartoon and give in to that sweet tooth, as a true kid would do.

Movie Picks:

Tangled
Despicable Me
Basically any Disney movie

Snack Picks:

Sour Patch Kids/Sour gummy worms
Twizzlers
Fun Dip
Nerds Rope
Ben & Jerry’s Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream

Try our adult root beer float. Or maybe kid float in this case…

Movie Munchies

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki