There are a couple of key aspects necessary to make a grocery shopping trip truly successful. At the top of that list, somewhere under the golden rule "never shop hungry" is "know what you need." That's a little tricky in the product polluted world we live in. There's only so much a student at uni knows about the domestic world that our mothers seem to seamlessly navigate. Personally, my grocery shopping trips include one or more calls to my mom with food questions, a dozen google searches, and a good 5 minutes per product staring helplessly at the shelves in utter despair. So how does a college student who wants to be healthy, price conscious, and all of that good stuff make an informed decision? Pool our knowledge. Queue your introduction to Mooala Llc. and the plant-based milks of your lactose-less dreams.

Personally, my grocery shopping trips include one or more calls to my mom with food questions, a dozen google searches, and a good 5 minutes per product staring helplessly at the shelves in utter despair. So how does a college student who wants to be healthy, price conscious, and all of that good stuff make an informed decision? Pool our knowledge. Queue your introduction to Mooala Llc. and the plant-based milks of your lactose-less dreams.

As someone who lives with lactose intolerant flatmates and who also personally suffers from a lactose sensitivity, I've had to struggle with the pain that dairy products can cause on a daily basis. Among the top offenders is milk, so a couple of years ago I began to explore the world of plant based milk alternatives. Almond milk is a very popular choice and at first I actually experimented with making my own. This doesn't include milking each individual almond but it's still a time consuming venture that most college students can't commit to. So my search continued, until I discovered Mooala.

Meet Mooala's Founder

Almond milk is a very popular choice and at first I actually experimented with making my own. This doesn't include milking each individual almond but it's still a time consuming venture that most college students can't commit to. So my search continued, until I discovered Mooala.

In 2015, Jeff Richards lived out the millennial dream and turned his back on corporate America. Not only did he escape the cubicle, but he did this all in the name of almond milk–oh, and banana milk. Two years later and Mooala is now rapidly growing and is widely available through the US, in particular its birthplace, Texas.

Olivia (Liv) Burnett

Commitment to Quality

There are a couple of things Jeff was dedicated to creating his milks around and those are exactly what allow Mooala to put a truly worthy product on the market. First and foremost, Mooala is dedicated itself to providing consumers with a completely organic almond milk, literally down to the last grain of sea salt. This might sound simple but after sitting down with Jeff who explained the organic process, it became clear that in actuality this entails a big commitment. The honey used to sweeten the original almond milk really demonstrates Jeff's commitment to producing entirely organic milks.

"At first, we wanted our original almond milk to be sweetened with local Texas honey but then we figured out that was pretty much impossible" said the 32 year-old CEO and founder. "Turns out you can't tell honey bees to just pollinate the organic plants. So we started looking for alternatives and now we get 100% organic honey all the way from the rain forest."  

The emphasis on top notch ingredients is proven over and over again because in addition to being completely organic, Mooala milks are also gluten free (for those with gluten sensitivities or Celiac disease), kosher, fake vitamin free, and carrageen free. Those last few things might not mean a lot to the majority of people in grocery stores but just as Jeff demonstrated, labeling a product is a commitment to customers to go above and beyond to make products that surpass the standards of the FDA and other regulatory agencies.

Mooala is noteworthy because it's made from a very limited range of high quality ingredients so you truly know what's going into your body but the company also has a few other standout characteristics which include donations to the the Seed Effect and finally, their mascot, the Mooala Koala, is just adorable. But the absolute pinnacle of these products: it wows the taste buds. Once again the commitment to the ingredients is felt and seen.

Commitments You Can See

When you pick up a bottle of the Vanilla Bean Almond milk, check out the bottom. Yes, that's real vanilla bean floating around down there and it tastes much better than the vanilla extract most companies use. For those who shared my reserves concerning banana milk, it's understandable. However, the banana milks are a very pleasant surprise because despite originally preparing for a banana assault, the taste of bananas was not overpowering. In fact, it was muted enough that I could really appreciate the cinnamon. As for the chocolate banana milk, how could you go wrong when you're talking about getting to drink real Dutch cocoa for 90 calories? Just to keep things in perspective a shot of vodka is 72 calories, a shot of rum is 97 calories, and a shot of whisky is 105 calories in case you need to justify banana or almond milk consumption.  

Whether plant based milks are a necessity or just something you enjoy, Mooala is a great grocery shopping lesson. Ethics, standards, and good marketing are achievable in a product and can also taste amazing. Plus, the almond milks are coffee's best friends and the banana milk is a smoothie fanatics fantasy.