Our Valentine’s weekend got a little bigger and spicier this time with the commencement of Asian Hawkers Market II and we gladly dedicated it to our one true love – food.

Asian Hawkers Market embarked on yet another journey from Japan to Indonesia, with occasional diversions to the home of Chinjabi cuisine. Being a college student who is always low on budget, this market came as a blessing. Atul Sikand, one of the co-founders of the market explains it further: “We try to establish a market where you could try dishes from all the big-wigs of the restaurant industry at a much cheaper price than what it would actually cost you. This is achieved by reducing the portions a little and having newer variety.”

The Spoon UDelhi team had a blast covering the event and it indeed proved to be a playground for all the foodies like us who live to Instagram every bite. Here we bring to you some things you missed if you didn’t drop by at the Asian Hawkers Market this year:

1. Heaven for Pan Asian Cuisine Lovers

Asian Hawkers Market

Photo By Sabhyata Badhwar

With restaurants like Asia7, Fatty Bao, Mamagoto (the list is endless!) displaying their dishes under one roof, what more could you have asked for? If Asian cuisine is your one true love, this place had to be your heaven.

2. Introduction of the Chinjabi Cuisine

Asian Hawkers Market

Photo courtesy of Asian Hawkers Market on Facebook

With restaurants displaying dishes like Chinese bhel and Sichuan dosas in their menu, this market proved to be an exploration ground for the quite new concept of ‘Chinjabi Cuisine’.

“We have made a conscious effort to bring this cuisine here at the market; our aim is to establish the Chinjabi cuisine as a legitimate Asian cuisine,” said Mr. Sourish, another co-founder of the market.

3. Full Entertainment Value

Asian Hawkers Market

If you feel that this festival was only confined to only food, my friend, there was a lot happening on the entertainment front too. Be it flash mobs or band performances, this fest had it all.

The artist line-up included names like Funk Heads, Azaan Khan, Doktor Daniel etc.

4. New Entrants in the Market

Asian Hawkers Market

Photo By Sabhyata Badhwar

AHM II saw new restaurants coming up too. Pa PaYa of Mumbai presented its critically acclaimed dishes for the first time in Delhi. Also, restaurants like Honk at Pullman Novotel, The Bento Cafe and Hawkers Chowk were seen showcasing their products for the first time at a food festival.

The market also witnessed Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) promoting Amazing Thailand with a cart full of delicacies prepared by Thai chefs.

5. Not Just Asian Food

Asian Hawkers Market

Photo By Sabhyata Badhwar

If you aren’t that big a lover of Asian cuisine, there were delicious sugary delights from Sugarama and special cocktails from I-Kandy Bar to keep you spinning.

6. Dishes at Pocket-Friendly Prices

Asian Hawkers Market

Photo By Sabhyata Badhwar

With restaurants like Neung Roi at Raddison Blu Plaza and Latest Recipe at Le Meridien, Gurgaon providing their dishes at a price as low as 400 INR, you should’ve thanked the lord (or rather the organisers of the market) for it.

Asian Hawkers Market

Photo By Sabhyata Badhwar

Didn’t all this make you want to travel back in time and visit this market? No worries, the founders of AHM have listened to your prayers and have already started chalking out details for the next edition. I’m not going to miss that, will you? Stay tuned to know more!