From acting to fashion to humanitarian work and to now being a part of the royal family, Meghan Markle is really the woman who can do it all. Thus, I was quite unsurprised when I first caught wind of her amazing recipe for zucchini sauce. I mean, why shouldn't she be a culinary superstar as well? 

Figuring that if it was good enough for the Duchess of Sussex, it was good enough for me, I decided to try out Meghan Markle's zucchini sauce recipe and seriously, it did not disappoint. If you're looking for an easy sauce swap to spice up pasta night, or if you're like me and need to trick yourself into eating vegetables, you've got to give this recipe a try. 

Nothing But the Good Stuff

Kristen Siegel

One of my favorite things about this recipe is that there are so few ingredients and you probably already have most of them at home. There's no need for that last second grocery store run 30 minutes before dinner when you realize you're missing obscure ingredient #1. The main components of the dish are zucchini, onions, olive oil and bouillon (or chicken stock), making this an easy dish to whip up when your pantry and bank account are looking a little sparse. 

#SpoonTip: You can also add a teaspoon of garlic to your sauce because what is pasta without garlic? 

Take It Slow 

Kristen Siegel

This sauce is seriously creamy. If I hadn't made it myself I would've believed that there was butter or cream or something other than vegetables in it that was making it so thick and smooth. Meghan's trick? You just have to let the zucchini slow cook for 4 hours with the olive oil, onion, and bouillon so that it completely breaks down and becomes a delicious mush. Frequent stirring is required to save your precious zucchinis from burning to the pot, but the end product is very much worth the effort.

To tell the truth, I was initially a little put off by this when I first read the recipe because I have a huge aversion to cooked vegetables. The thought of eating zucchini that was supposed to be super mushy was not exactly appealing to me, but I decided that I would push through because this sauce was supposed to taste amazing. Turns out I made the correct choice.

Final Thoughts

Kristen Siegel

Meghan Markle's recipe for zucchini sauce completely altered my perception of zucchinis. After breaking down for 4 hours with onions and broth, this veggie was totally transformed from the icky green squash I refused to eat as a kid into an incredible pasta sauce. This one pot sauce tastes like something a professional chef labored over for hours so I can guarantee your friends will be beyond impressed. Rich and creamy, I felt like I was eating something totally unhealthy when, in reality, I was probably eating more veggies in one serving than I typically do across an entire week. While nothing will ever replace a hearty ragu as my favorite pasta sauce, this zucchini sauce has more than earned the title of "second favorite."