As a self-proclaimed burger connoisseur (ask anyone who follows me on Instagram), I have been searching for the perfect patty throughout Baltimore or any other city I find myself in.

Hesitant to challenge the classic Angus beef burger, I went out of my comfort zone and tried these burgers that use other ingredients and promise just as much of a satisfying experience.

Crab

burger

Photo by Elena Damon

As Loyola students living in Baltimore, we have an obligation to try crab throughout the Inner Harbor. A crab burger however, will rock your world. As someone that was hesitant to try fish as a kid, a crab cake sprung me into the exciting world of seafood and I’m convinced it can do the same for you.

Try this Maryland crab cake recipe and then throw one on a bun, dust it with Old Bay and top it with tomato and lettuce or any other fixings, and be prepared to lose your mind.

Turkey

burger

Photo by Elena Damon

Pair a juicy turkey patty with shaved green apples, Vermont sharp cheddar, arugula and banana peppers for a fresh and light spin on a traditional burger. Or drizzle some BBQ and throw some sliced avocado and a fried egg on top for a savory sensation.

In a time crunch? Check out this turkey burger recipe that’ll take you less than 30 minutes.

Veggie

burger

Photo by Elena Damon

Veggie burgers are versatile and rightfully so. With various ingredient combinations, the non-meat burger possibilities are sky high.

Try this black bean quinoa burger recipe to spice up your dinner tonight.

Salmon

burger

Photo by Elena Damon

Whole Foods sells Wild Alaskan Salmon burgers for just $4.99/lb. Our favorite is the spinach and feta. Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes and pair with sautéed kale and white mushrooms instead of a bun for a sustainable and delicious dinner.

This is also an awesome option for those who are living life gluten free either for medical or lifestyle reasons (it also saves you a lot of calories by eliminating the bun). If you’re now inspired to make a grocery trip, check out this guide to Whole Foods.

Now that you have some ideas, run with them. Put a spin on the classic burger with your own creative energy and challenge your taste buds. In my experience in this world, there is no such thing as a bad burger combination. Go, be free, and challenge the Spoon world with other exciting burger creations.

Need help channeling that creative energy? Check out these articles.