Dinner time rolls around and you’re sick of your usual quick grab of pasta or pizza in the Bostwick Marketplace (the real name of the caf if you just asked yourself what that was). Whether it’s out of laziness or fear, I used to avoid the Mongolian BBQ station. Once I figured out the best ways to order, Mongo became a staple meal choice. Here’s how you can get the most out of the build-your-own stir-fry option.

1. Use the salad bar.
Before I even get in the actual Mongo line, I take my bowl to the salad bar and fill it with all the vegetables I know the Mongo station won’t have. For example, because I love broccoli, I collect as much as possible before heading back over to the BBQ station.

BBQ

Photo by Brooke Peterson

2. Know your sauces.
This may seem kind of obvious, but making sure you know what sauce you’re going to ask for helps to avoid that last second decision where you decide to try something new and you end up hating it.

Also, ask for a lighter amount of sauce because depending on the chef, they tend to drench your order. No one likes a soggy meal; it’s better to start off with limited sauce and you can always add more later.

BBQ

Photo by Brooke Peterson

3. Order two meat options.
If you like both chicken and beef, don’t hesitate to ask for both. The chef will give you a little under a full serving of each. Ordering only one type of meat is sometimes just not enough to fulfill your meat to vegetable to rice/noodle ratio; here at Bucknell, we are very aware of the importance of ratios…

4. Remember your bowl color.
This is definitely easier said than done. When your order is finished there are usually several other orders that come out the same time as yours. They tend to all look the same and now that you know how to order the best bowl ever, the people in line behind you will copy your order like it’s the new fall Barbour coat.

You do not want to be THAT person who steals another person’s order. I accidentally stole my caf-crush’s order last year and was immediately called out…Remembering your color is worth it, trust me.

BBQ

Photo by Brooke Peterson

5. Mongo is not just for stir-fry.
You can order meat and or vegetables with or without sauce and mix them with other foods. Ordering just chicken is perfect to make something like a chicken caesar wrap. If you are feeling really creative, spice up your plain spaghetti with the vegetables and meat from Mongo and you now have a bonus option in the caf.