I don't know about you, but I'm definitely more of a sweet than a savory gal. Like, if you have a piece of dark chocolate near me, sorry not sorry, but it's mine now. But, have you ever wondered why the heck there's as much sugar in a can of Pepsi as, like, 26 Hershey kisses?! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but tons of other foods have hidden sugar, and store-bought marinara sauce is one of them. 

Obviously, everything is okay in moderation, but when it comes to overly processed foods and drinks, sometimes just being aware of what you're consuming can help with healthy, mindful food decisions. So, behold, a ranking of your favorite marinara sauces by sugar content per serving (aka 1/2 cup sauce). Oh, and for further reference, 4 grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon. 

12. Bertolli Tomato & Basil = 12 grams

salt
Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

Yes, ladies and gents, that is 12 grams of sugar you see. Also, yes, you do need some sugar in marinara sauce to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, but this amount seems a bit excessive. Sorry, Bertolli, but I'd rather consume my sugar in the form of chocolate, thanks.

#SpoonTip: Bertolli fans, don't hate. Keep reading for some good news. 

11. Prego Traditional = 10 grams

salt, condiment
Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

Unfortunately, this highly demanded brand is high in its sugar content, too. Sugar addicts, these 10 grams are probably the reason you love Prego so much. 

10. Barilla Marinara = 9 grams

sweet, salt, condiment
Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

Do we need nine grams of sugar or nein grams, am I right German fans? Disclaimer, there's 9 grams of sugar in 125 grams of this sauce (a little over half of a 1/2 cup), but this conversion is pretty close. 

9. Ragu Old World Style Traditional = 8 grams 

flour, condiment, salt
Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

So, I've always thought that the Ragu vs. Prego debate was just as important as the Velveeta vs. Kraft debacle. But, since these brands both make tomato sauces with hella sugar, we should probably just stop arguing.  

8. 365 Organic Tomato Sauce = 8 grams

sweet, whey, cereal, condiment, flour, salt
Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

So, TBH, I threw this in there thinking that of course pure tomato sauce would have the least amount of sugar, but here we are at number 8. I was going to say, you're better off making your nana's recipe and cutting out all of the extra sugar, but sorry this sauce kind of sets you up for failure. Try using fresh tomatoes with this instead

7. Bertolli Organic Olive Oil, Basil, & Garlic = 7 grams

salt, condiment
Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

For you Bertolli lovers that are freaked about the mounds of sugar in their other sauce, here's your fix. Obviously, adding olive oil and basil cuts the sugar down by 5 grams a serving, duh? 

6. Newman's Own Marinara = 7 grams 

salt, condiment
Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

Did you know that 100% of Newman's Own profits go to charity? If you need to justify these 7 grams of sugar, not only is this sauce delicious, but you'll have the peace of mind that your money is helping make someone's day a little brighter. 

5. Prego Light Smart Traditional = 7 grams  

condiment, salt
Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

Go Prego! The 3 grams of sugar lost between this product and the traditional sauce really does make it smarter. 

4. Classico Tomato & Basil = 5 grams

Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

Okay, so we're getting better. We're down to one pile of sugar! Classico comes in without a medal, at fourth on this list, but if you think about that teaspoon of sugar you stir into your coffee, 5 grams of sugar isn't too bad. 

3. 365 Marinara Pasta Sauce = 4 grams

condiment, salt
Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

First is the worst, second is the best, third is the one with the hairy chest. Whole Foods, did you need to borrow a razor?

2. 365 Organic Marinara Pasta Sauce Fat Free = 4 grams

condiment, salt
Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

It's from Whole Foods, it's organic, it's fat free, and it is the symbol of healthy. With only 4 grams of sugar and the fact that it's made by such a health-focused company, this sauce should be in your grocery cart.  

1. Rao's Homemade Marinara Sauce = 3 grams

Kaitlyn Eisenshtadt

We have a winner! Not only is it the lowest in sugar that I could find on the market, but it honestly tastes as good as, if not better than, homemade marinara sauce. It deserves it's name, and Rao's deserves the number one spot on this list.

Next time you're walking down the pasta aisle at the store, maybe try reaching for one of these lower sugar content sauces. Odds are you won't notice the difference, and guess what? You get double dessert.