When you think of Canada thoughts of the cold, Canadian Bacon, hockey, syrup, and (if you are anything like me) Robin Scherbatsky come to mind.  

When you think of the black market the exchange of items like guns, organs, and drugs for money comes to mind. But in Canada, a lot of people think of the two things together. But why?

In February of 2016 the rest of the world began to discover than Canadians have rebelled against the conventional sale of maple syrup, and instead created a maple syrup black market.

Yes you read that right. There is a maple syrup black market in Canada. Let me say that one more time: There is a maple syrup black market in Canada.

Canada has been the butt of many jokes over the years but this is just amazing. The black market is a place for illegal transactions, but of all things, SYRUP?

Let me hit you with the "reasoning" behind this fantastic phenomenon, which I can promise you is not just some hilarious Canadian joke everyone in the country is in on. 

First of all, they call it the "Maple Syrup Cartel." That makes me think of Pablo Escobar and it gets even funnier thinking about Pablo Escobar dealing sugar and not cocaine. Pablo Azucar. Okay I promise I am done with the Escobar jokes, not.

The reason they call it a cartel is because like the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers, has a monopoly of sorts over maple syrup. The Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers controls about 75% of the maple syrup enjoyed by the world.

This Federation has somehow become the head of Maple Syrup production and tells the rest of the country how much to make and to sell. Due to this overbearing control the producers of the syrup make more than they are told and have started selling it on the side.

Let me say it one more time for the people in the back: there is a black market for maple syrup in Canada. Tell me that's not the most Canadian thing ever! (No disrespect to Canada. In fact, thanks for the lowered drinking age see you on my next road trip xoxo.)