Ever since I tried a Magnum Ice Cream Bar for the first time in Italy, I knew there was no going back. But I also knew how unhealthy it was between the overload of toppings and the creamy delight of the ice cream itself, so this new vegan alternative not only saves you the calories, but it also saves the environment (double whammy!).

Throughout the years, Magnum has, nonetheless, delivered on incredibly tasting, bold flavors, some of the most popular being Strawberries and Cream, Double Raspberry, Double Cherry Truffle, and of course the classic Chocolate and Vanilla signatures.

They also have had major success in introducing storefronts and various pop-ups throughout the U.S. and Europe (where it was originated, hence why European countries are always the first to hear about Magnum's new products). The storefronts give people the luxury of designing their own unique Magnum ice cream bar with an assortment of toppings and syrups. What Magnum did lack until recently, however, was a vegan option to satisfy that prominent type of customer. 

The Future of Ice Cream is Vegan

Magnum isn't the only brand of ice cream to enter into the dairy-free market. Ben and Jerry's, as well as Halo Top, have individually launched a range of dairy-free flavors in 2016 and 2017, including Ben and Jerry's Coconutterly Caramel'd, and Halo Top's Oatmeal Cookie, Caramel Macchiato, Chocolate Covered Banana, and Peanut Butter Cup, which I have personally tried and practically live off of.

So what makes these vegan ice cream bars different from the rest? Well, first and foremost, they're made primarily from pea protein. Unlike some plant-based protein powders, pea protein is well digested and highly bioavailable. Plus, it's a good source of iron (cuz you gotta get those nutrients!). 

As a direct result of the continuous launch of new vegan ice creams, the global vegan ice cream market is expected to surpass $1 billion by 2024, according to research released by Global Market Insights last October. Experts predict that vegan options from major brands and new, unique bases—like banana, avocado, and hemp milk—will only further propel the market forward as consumers ditch dairy for reasons related to health, sustainability, and animal welfare.

Magnum offers two vegan flavors: Magnum Vegan Classic and Magnum Vegan Almond, both which feature vanilla pea protein-based ice cream coated in dairy-free chocolate. The chocolate coating is made from 70 percent cocoa sourced from sustainably-grown Rainforest Alliance cocoa beans.

Non-Dairy Classic Bar

This velvety vanilla bar coated in Belgian chocolate is perfectly crafted to satisfy your sweet tooth, without the added fat and hormonal stimulants of dairy. Each bar is only 230 calories, about 50 calories less than most of Magnum's other ice cream bars that do contain dairy.

Vegan Almond

This vegan interpretation of an almond ice cream bar has managed to elevate the status of non-dairy products. The crunch of the almond combined with the velvety richness of the vanilla bean makes for the perfect dessert. And with each bar being only 250 calories, there is simply no way you can pass it up.  

#SpoonTip: To find out if Magnum vegan ice cream bars are sold by you, you can use the store locator on the Magnum website. While Magnum products are sold in most major supermarkets nationwide, the vegan bars are a novelty item. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Magnum has single-handedly changed the face of the vegan ice cream industry by creating a product that is not only ethical, but tastes great as well. Now the only thing that's left to do is wait for more flavors to be released.