We’ve all been there: you’re fast walking to class passing Carver during your back-to-back schedule at lunch time. A savory aroma, coming downwind from a small white truck emblazoned with a bright macaroni noodle, stops you dead in your tracks. If you’re anything like me, this has happened to you more than once. Sadly, you never have an extra moment to grub.

Macubana, the Iowa State staple, features an incredible assortment of soul food and foreign favorites. These include empanadas and an eclectic collection of sauces. Herbert Dardano, the man behind the Mac, shared some insight about which items are in the spotlight and why his food truly stands out.

Thanks to me (“you’re welcome”), some of the stress of looking over the Macubana menu has been alleviated. I’ve taken the very welcomed opportunity of paying the truck a few visits to taste test the mouth-watering items it has to offer. 

Macubana

Photo courtesy of Macubana

The Cubano Sandwich; warm cubano bread piled high with slow-roasted pork, hickory smoked honey ham, gooey swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard; is definitely the most popular item at Macubana, at least during the day. Customers flock to the business Thursday through Saturday nights after their Campustown activities to get their hands on the Tempura Mac Attack: noodles covered in alfredo, parmesan, pepper jack, cheddar, & bleu cheeses and battered in tempura. Talk about the ultimate drunchie. If you’re looking for a familiar favorite with a twist, pick up a basket of Belgian fries with one of Macubana’s incredible sauces. (hint: parmesan peppercorn)

Macubana

Photo courtesy of Macubana

“It can be difficult to meet the demand for the mac attack,” states Dardano, as he normally sells out of the dish during the late-night rush. He explains that the mac requires a 12-hour preparation, so when it’s out… it’s out. Try not to get grumpy though, this just means that your Macubana dish is as fresh as can be, which can be rare to find on the streets. Dardano believes that it gives his customers something to smile about, and we couldn’t agree more.

Macubana

Photo courtesy of Macubana

We’re (mostly) all college students; therefore, we all worry about getting by each month so we don’t get evicted. At the same time, we want our food cheap, quick, and healthy. Cooking takes time and though takeout is a quick and simple alternative, the expenses can rack up. Alas, Macubana has come to relieve us of our worries. With its fresh ingredients, ideal location, and low prices, the food truck is a convenient option that won’t break the bank.

#SpoonTip: check out their too-good-to-be-true menu (or follow on Twitter) beforehand to stay ahead of the game.

So, there you have it: snacking on some incredible food and supporting a rad local business. Next time you see the white truck with the can’t-miss mac noodle, get ready for some serious eating. Go get your grub on, Cyclones!

emma stone - food truck article