Greek yogurt has found its way into mainstream American breakfasts, but have you ever heard of labneh? It's a Lebanese food thats similar, but not the same. I'm here to tell you about the difference between labneh and Greek yogurt

What is Labneh?

Growing up in a Lebanese household, labneh (or, the American version, known as Kefir cheese) was a staple. Labneh is a yogurt spread. My Teta (which means Grandmother in Arabic) would make it with whole milk, using a cheese cloth. It is typically made by using full fat yogurt and draining it overnight.

As a family, would eat it for breakfast, with olive oil, za'atar, vegetables, and of course, pita bread. Now that my Teta lives overseas, it's hard to find one of my favorite foods. I could go into University City, and get it at one of the many middle eastern groceries there. But, like you, I am a full time college student and I don't have time for that long drive, so I often replace labneh with goat cheese. It's a very different taste - but it does the job. 

What is Greek yogurt?

One thing to mention about Greek yogurt is that in Greece it is made with goat milk. In America, it is made with cow's milk. It is made by pasteurizing milk, adding bacteria, and then straining it. Food52 says that Greek yogurt is a lot thicker, higher in protein, and tangier than regular yogurt. 

In America, Greek yogurt is often blended with fruit and served like typical yogurt in 5.3 ounce containers. Greek yogurt, in Greek tradition is eaten with more savory ingredients like olives and vegetables. 

Differences

Labneh is a bit thicker than Greek yogurt - almost like soft cream cheese. In tradition, Greek yogurt is made from goats milk while labneh is made from cow's milk. It's tangier and creamier than yogurt, and it's meant to be eaten with savory ingredients.

However, both of these foods are extremely delicious and I would recommend them both.