With most trendy foods or drinks, there's usually some type of health benefit or reason for consuming it daily. We see when we scroll through social media and see the latest health fads without really knowing about it, but curious about whether it actually works or not. While walking in the supermarket with my mother, I came across it and scrolling through my Instagram lately, it's become apparent kombucha is the new fad lining the shelves and is said to be a new source for healthy benefits. So, I tried it and even got my mother to try it so we could both see about this concoction. The real question is what is it actually made from? What makes it the new drink of choice....kombucha, what?

So what is Kombucha?

Kombucha is a fermented drink made with tea, bacteria, and yeast. The drink itself is made by adding colonies of yeast to sugar and tea. Sometimes kombucha is referred to as mushroom tea, even though it is not a mushroom. IT is actually a colony of bacteria and yeast... sounds delicious right? Well surprisingly the body needs some types of bacteria to run in tip top shape. When all is said and fermented, the final mixture contains vinegar, B vitamins, and other chemical compounds.

How is Kombucha Made? 

tea, alcohol, wine
Carolina Gomez Grimaldi

So I know what you're thinking what would be better than buying this eccentric new drink in a grocery store? Making it yourself! You can actually make your own Kombucha, if you're feeling fancy and it all starts with Scoby. As weird and interesting as the word is, it is actually an acronym for Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast. It is the living home for bacteria and yeast that transform sweet tea into the tangy and fizzy kombucha. Scoby seals off the fermenting kombucha from the air and protects it from undesirable bacterias. You can either make it yourself or buy them in a dehydrated state. Whether you’re new to making kombucha or a seasoned fermenting expert, now you can brew delicious kombucha tea at home. 

Why drink this crazy magic potion?

beer
Isabella Neuberg

Kombucha is said to help aid in digestion, rid your body of toxins, and boost your energy. It helps boost your immune system and promotes weight loss. It can also be a positive factor in warding off high blood pressure and heart disease. There is not a lot of evidence to support such claims as it being able to prevent cancer, but one thing it definitely does have is probiotics. Those are amazing in keeping the "good bacteria" that are helpful for your body. 

If you really wanna get down to the roots of bacteria, your body has its own natural source of probiotics, or good bacteria, that helps to keep your body functioning properly. The natural microflora that your body has helps to fight digestion problems,  improves your immune system, and can even regulate hormone and cholesterol levels. So to actually help and improve our bodies we gotta stick to our gut, literally. Our stomach and digestive tract needs good bacteria and kombucha is an excellent probiotic to reintroduce that much needed bacteria. 

What to know Before Drinking Kombucha

beer, wine
Jessica Fedin

This article is meant to give you the 411 on Kombucha, so we have to address that just because this has a lot of ways of improving your health, there are some issues to be aware of if consuming this interesting concoction. The Mayo Clinic advises being wary of side effects such as stomach upset, infections, and allergic reactions in kombucha tea drinkers. Kombucha tea is often brewed in homes under non-sterile conditions, making contamination likely, so if brewing your own batch, make sure that you are properly sanitizing. When improperly manufactured ceramic pots have been used for brewing, lead poisoning has occurred due to the acids in the tea can leak lead from the ceramic glaze. This should not deter people from drinking such a drink, but before putting anything into your body you should know all facts about how it can affect your health both positively and negatively.

Now time for a Drink....of Kombucha

beer, ice, tea
Elizabeth Emery

To get into a healthier frame of mind it starts with the inside and what we put into our bodies. While this is not guaranteed to make a drastic change in your diet, it can help aid your body and strengthen the natural healthy bacterial components your body already possesses. So instead of going for that artificially sweetened drink, pick up a bottle of Kombucha and enjoy a new adventure of taste and health. 

https://secretsauce.spoonuniversity.com/content/search?q=kombucha

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/5-major-health-benefits-of-kombucha-the-immortal-health-elixir