The past year has already seen the rise of food trends like matcha, Old World Jewish food and yes, insects. If you’re just not ready to embrace cooking with cockroaches, there is something else on the list of irresistible and versatile ingredients you should get to know for 2015 and beyond: kimchi.

Kimchi has its roots in South Korea as the country’s national dish, both served on as a side dish to things like Korean BBQ and incorporated into a medley of different dishes. It is spicy thanks to the chili pumped through it, sour and salty from the fermentation process, and has hints of sweetness when apple or sugar is added.

kimchi

Photo courtesy of thevine.com.au

Not only is Korean food having a moment, but kimchi has been taking the restaurant world by storm. We’re talking kimchi fries from Chi’lantro in Austin and kimchi fried rice with shrimp at Sobban in Decatur, Georgia.

It’s new trend status isn’t the only reason you need to know kimchi. It’s also an amazing ingredient to use in your homecooking because of the spicy, umami flavor that makes everything taste better (looking at you, peanut butter).

Oh, and it should probably be mentioned that kimchi was cited by Health Magazine as one of the world’s five healthiest foods. It contains a wealth of vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, etc.), antioxidants (for all those nasty wrinkles we’re getting from midterms), and probiotics thanks to the fermentation process.

kimchi

Photo courtesy of memeaddicts.com

Wow ok wait, so kimchi is healthy, chefs love it, it’s easy to cook with and it tastes good with (almost) everything? Yep, this is the food your chili-filled dreams are made of.

Now, how can you use it? Treat it like a topping and throw it on top of your burger, add it to an omelette for an exotic breakfast concoction, or mix it in with some rice to add both flavor and nutrition.

Literally, the list is endless and you can even make it at home with this easy kimchi recipe. It’s time to join the club and take your first steps on the road to kimchi obsession.

Get in the know with some more food for thought: