Japan is home to not only sushi, sake, and soba, but also amazing non-alcoholic drinks.  So when you’re not in the mood for the usual soda or energy drink, give these Japanese beverages a try.

1. Calpico

Japan

Photo by Jenny Huang

This milk-based, non-carbonated drink is somehow able to make milkiness, acidity, and sweetness work well together. And with 5 different flavors, Calpico is sure to surprise your taste buds in the best way possible.

2. Ramune

Japan

Photo by Jenny Huang

Although the original flavor tastes just like a fizzier version of Sprite, Ramune is known for its unique bottle. Sealed with a marble, the glass bottle is opened by using the included plastic device to pop the marble into the bottle, creating a rattling sound every time you take a sip. Pretty neat, eh?

3. Melon Creamy Soda

Japan

Photo by Jenny Huang

Lightly carbonated with a hint of melon flavor, this drink is exactly what a melon in soda form would taste like: Creamy, sweet, and refreshing.

4. C.C. Lemon

Japan

Photo by Jenny Huang

Claiming to have “70 Lemons Worth of Vitamin C in Every Bottle,” this zesty soda packs a powerful sweet and sour punch that’ll give you the energy you need.

5. Canned Coffee

Japan

Photo by Jenny Huang

In Japan, local vending machines are loaded with canned coffee. Alternatively, in America, this drink is typically sold at local Asian markets. Great for convenience, portability, and shit-I’m-late-but-need-caffeine moments, canned coffee is the ideal choice for a busy day.

6. Bottled/Canned Green Tea

Japan

Photo by Jenny Huang

American green tea is just sugar and water. So if you’re looking for a refreshing, more authentic flavor, opt for Japanese bottled or canned green tea.

7. Yakult

Japan

Photo by Jenny Huang

This tiny probiotic drink has a big impact on your digestion and immune system. Sadly, it’s loaded with sugar and artificial flavors, but consuming this sweet, tart drink every once in a while never hurt anyone.

8. Pocari Sweat

Japan

Photo by Jenny Huang

No, it’s not sweat in a bottle (at least let’s hope not). Regardless, this sports drink is smooth, refreshing, and replenishing, ultimately giving off a Propel or white Gatorade vibe.

These 8 drinks are just a few of the many different beverages Japan has to offer. And although some of the flavors might seem a little odd, don’t be afraid to try one — it may become your new favorite drink.